What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EIS 4000 Programable Pages

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I have now flown with the EIS 4000 about 80 or so hours and really like it but am ready to modify at least one programmable page. Currently I am using one like this:

636025871_jbg9d-M.jpg

The display shows:
Tach, Fuel Flow, Amps across the top
Oil Temp/Oil Pressure, MP, Volts across the bottom

Amps and Volts are now very boring to look at! I thought it would be useful but unless something fails, it's pretty useless. If either volts or amps go haywire I will get an alarm, so they don't need to be on the display.

MP and Tach are useful during transients but pretty worthless once established in the cruise. Because I was retrofiting this on an engine and had an interference problem with the engine mount that prevented me from changing oil temperature sensors I monitor OT on a separate gauge, so I don't need that on my display either.

What I find myself wanting to see is this:

636005942_f4g5G-M.jpg

With:
Highest CHT, Highest EGT, Highest EGT Drop, Oil Pressure on the top
Fuel Pressure/Fuel Flow and Endurance in HH:MM on the bottom

My thinking is I am finding out that fuel flow can change a little, especially when chaning tanks, and with hot weather and a hot engine fuel pressure can change a bit especially when descending and heat soaking the fuel during low fuel flow. Fuel flow can affect CHT and EGT and degrees ROP or LOP.

In short, the parameters on the second screen shot are the ones that can change without my knowing it and can effect performance and engine life and range. At a glance I can see what is going on.

What programable pages have the other learned practioners of aviation who come to this forum found useful? I know a lot of people have EMS displays on the EFIS that make this a moot point, but that expense has to wait for my finances to recover, so I need to make the most out of my EIS unit.

BTW these screen shots were taken from "Mike's EIS4000 Editor" at http://www.my9a.com/eis/ and then trimmed and converted to jpgs using Paint. My thanks to Mike for providing this little GEM. It makes it easy to generate the bits of letters and numbers for programing the EIS custom pages.

No opinions or experiences? What parameters has everyone programmed into the EIS programmable pages?

It really comes down to what you like to monitor yourself.

For sure you want Tac and MP on there. These are the only 2 parameters you really have control over.

Mine was always:
RPM MP Highest CHT
Oil T&P Fuel Press Highest EGT

My reason was monitoring the engine power (RPM & MP). During cruise I liked to see the fuel press all the time since it does tend to vary more than the other parameters. The oil temp and CHT, EGT temps show you when you could safely lean the engine out. The highets CHT and EGT and only a quick reference. What you really care about is how the others compare (all 4 EGTs for example).

Volts and amps. I don't really care except after engine start to see the alternator working properly. You could also take a look at the amps when you turn on landing light for example to see that its actually working.

Besides that the EIS will let you know if there is a problem. However if you're used to see Fuel Pressure at 25 psi all the time and one days it running 17, the should pay attention even though the EIS would not trigger an alarm until about 15 psi.

I cycle through all the pages during engine run-up to see all 4 cylinders firing and temps are warn enough for take-off. Besides that I just keep it on the page described above and occationally to the fuel flow page.

Mike's EIS Editor seems to be gone

snipped

BTW these screen shots were taken from "Mike's EIS4000 Editor" at http://www.my9a.com/eis/ and then trimmed and converted to jpgs using Paint. My thanks to Mike for providing this little GEM. It makes it easy to generate the bits of letters and numbers for programing the EIS custom pages.

I found this thread after visiting Mike's build site. The editor is gone and no way to contact Mike. Anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Back