What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Split NEMA?

RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Is it possible to split the NMEA serial output from the hockey puck GPS receiver and send to both the tracker and GRT EFIS? I am assuming since it is essentially a dc voltage that the answer is yes, as long as the runs are not excessively long. But, just want to make sure.

Not wanting to buy a 3rd GPS receiver.

Last edited:
Yes. Driving two inputs with one output is no problem. I have heard you can get away with driving up to four inputs with one output.

Yes, one serial transmitter (TX) pin can drive several receiver (RX) pins when serial ports are used in our avionics equipment. As far as I know, there is no real "spec" max loads, but several should be no problem. However, wiring two or more TX pins together will cause massive data errors and will not work. And it is not unusual for a port to have several different other ports connected to it as long as the above guidelines are followed.

The "real" RS232 spec addresses two devices connected with a standard serial cable with standard connectors with several additional signals to control the connection. This is not fully implemented on our equipment which thus allows the multiple receiver per transmitter operation between multiple devices.

Serial data streams are not really "DC" but pulse trains where the voltage levels swing rapidly between two values, that can vary from as much as -12v to +12v, although more commonly are just several volts in both directions and for some gps equipment only swings from ~0v to ~3v. The serial data rate is usually required to be properly set on both ends to allow valid data to be extracted from the bit stream.

Right answer for wrong question??

Yes, one serial transmitter (TX) pin can drive several receiver (RX) pins when serial ports are used in our avionics equipment.

Yes but..... that's not how I read the question.... the question was about splitting the antenna signal to the input of more than one device.

Wade,

I took the GPS output from my GPS to a two-position terminal strip located on the subpanel behind the main panel. The terminal strip positions are labeled "Data +" and Data GND". I used this terminal strip to get my GPS NMEA sentence (the GPS output) to all of my devices that use a GPS signal. Right now, the terminal strip has a Trio autopilot, a Dynon EFIS, a Garmin Transponder GTX 327, and an APRS (Ham Radio tracking device).

I've tested (on the ground only- haven't flown yet) but haven't had any issues with all devices getting a good signal from the GPS. Since the data stream from a GPS is simply a signal rather than a voltage or current, there is no data loss if multiple devices use the same signal. Think of the signal as your Static Air source. No loss of static air pressure even if you have multiple devices using the Static Air signal.

The GPS is a Lowrance 2000C.

Back