What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Erratic Van's Ammeter?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
During preflight and startup the ammeter on my RV6 behaves as expected. It shows increasing battery discharge as I add load - fuel pump, strobes, etc - and then when the engine starts it shows an initially high battery charge current that soon drops off to a small charge current. In the air however it has fits of wild and erratic swings.

I have a low voltage warning system for the alternator and a A D100 with voltmeter and neither of these show a problem so I hope that the old auto style 60A Van's alternator is OK.

Anyone else have trouble with these gauges?

The cheapo Van's ASI and ALT can be a bit wiggly too!

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - 10 hours into Phase 1

same here

I am getting acquainted with an -8 that somebody else built... And I am seeing the same thing.

I only see spikes with the Van's ammeter, when keying one of my radios. The other two instruments were of the more expensive variety. They work fine.

The older type 60 amp alternator has no problems. It's about a year, and 100+ hrs. now.

BTW--- My Van's ammeter is wired as with the Van's diagram..... not the total load method.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

voltmeter and neither of these show a problem so I hope that the old auto style 60A Van's alternator is OK.

Anyone else have trouble with these gauges?

The cheapo Van's ASI and ALT can be a bit wiggly too!
I did replaced the Vans tach and oil temp due to "gyrations" as you describe. Replaced both units but these did have more than 400 hours on each. I would say I did get my money's worth.

erratic amps

I had a similar problem, and the volts were going to highs of 15.8 and I had a squeal in my intercom. I had rebuilt the alternator with no change. Then I read an article by a Piper expert who said most problems like this come from the switch. I had the double Cessna type, the "bingo" The problem was solved. I now have changed my procedures on start up. Only energize the master switch for electrical and leave alternator field "off". After start I energize the alt field. per the articles recommendation. No more occelation after short intial high volts 14.8 settles down to 14.2. No squeal. RV-6A 500 hours. almost 20 hours on new switch, no problems.

oops

Something dropped out of last string reply. I purchased new double throw switch (Cessna type), from Spruce, it was 23 or 28.00.

Back