What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-320 150hp

skyyking

Could someone speak from experience as to which 150 HP O-320 dash (-) model has worked best with mounting and clearance issues. With much appreciation.

From my limited experience, I have had no problem installing an 0320-E2D in my 6A. Nothing comes to mind that gave me any headaches, and I am by far no engine guru.

I utilized Van's firewall forward kit and everthing seemed to integrate with the engine well.

Regards,

The engine that Vans sells is a D1A, but is 160Hp. That can be changed to 150 hp with a piston change. The 150 HP equivalent of that engine is an E1A or a E2A with a prop dowel/bushing change.

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/productSales/engineSpecifications/SSP204.pdf

lists all of the engines and compares them. Finding any models that say SAME AS not similar to, when comparing to the D1A or E1A should get you pretty close with the notations specified in the listings. It can get a little complicated for the novice. For instance some E2D's don't come equipped to run an engine driven fuel pump and the same with D2J?s. While some do.
Hope this helps, if you have a specific model in mind let me know the model number and I would be happy to explain the specifics about the engine for you.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Rear mounted carb.

Careful if the list says "rear mounted carb"

I have an O-320-E2G and it's OK for a -6 but not for a -6A since the carb will interfere with the nose gear leg since it is an inch or two more aft on the sump.

A change of sump is needed if you get a similar model and are building a -A plane...

gil in Tucson

Back