What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspections, when and how?

Supereri

Ok I have heard that you should get structures inspected before they are closed up. I am getting reqady to close up the HS and was wondering how I go about getting it inspected?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Eric,

Go the the EAA members section under building and search for a Tech Counsellor in your area. There are several listed for Phoenix. Contact one of them and ask them to be your inspector. They will assist you in setting up an inspection plan.

Roberta

Inspector

Is it required to have stuff inspected during build? Or just when done? Thought you just had to have a DAR at the end.

(Is it required to have stuff inspected during build? Or just when done? Thought you just had to have a DAR at the end.)

I do not know for sure but I am about done with my empennage kit and no inspection yet. I have a friend building a RV-10 that said I only need to get inspected when I was finished and ready to fly.

Last edited:
FAA Advisory Circular 20-27D covers this

d. In recent years, amateur builders have adopted a
practice whereby they call upon persons having expertise with
aircraft construction techniques, such as the Experimental
Aircraft Association (EAA) Technical Counselors (reference
paragraph 6. (a)) to inspect particular components, e.g., wing
assemblies, fuselages, etc., prior to covering, and to conduct
other inspections, as necessary. This practice is an effective
means of ensuring construction integrity.

It's not required, but a good idea. Check with your local EAA Chapter in Phoenix.

Gil in Tucson ... an EAA technical Counselor

While you don?t have to take advantage of the EAA?s Technical counselor program, it is highly recommended. The best part is it is free. Ok, it might cost you a lunch or a beer, money and time well spent, IMHO.

Here in the Charlotte, NC area we had one RV builder who had his project inspected multiple times by an EAA Technical Counselor while building his project. When the FAA DAR came to inspect his plane he reviewed the forms the TC?s filled out, the weight and balance, and the FAA paper work. Apparently he did nothing more than glance at the airplane.

As for the timing of the TC visit, I had my first one before I closed up one of the fuel tanks, the second one after closing one of the wings, and the third one after I disassembled my engine.

I will have one or both of them back when I finish up the fuselage, when I install the electrical system (Probably have them review the schematic before I start on it.), when I install the engine and before its first start, and again before I invite the DAR over.

This being my first plane, I am more than happy to have a knowledgeable pair of eyes critique my work.

Back