What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks for the journey

N62XS

Well Known Member
As I draw near the completion of any project, I have made it a habit to reflect on the journey through the planning, procurement and construction processes. On this RV, I started this process several weeks ago. And as with past projects, the thoughts of the costs, the tasks and inevitable aggrivation become distant memories when compared to the realization that the newly discovered friends would not exist if I did not choose to take this aluminum voyage.

With past projects, I was not able to use the wonderful technology to thank friends, old and new, for their assistance, patience, sage advice and encouragement, but thanks to Doug Reeves, the Internet Cowboy, I am now able to do so.

Ray Larwence owns the builder's assistance center, in Sandersville, GA, Kaolin Aviation Services, where I am building Xcess. Ray has tolerated more changes than a fashion model in a runway show. Thanks, the check is in the mail. He is a good man with a lot to offer any builder wanting a fair deal and a friendly place.

John Brooker, thanks for my first RV-8 ride. Your weekly visits provide the encouragement I need to tolerate 8 hours of driving to the hanger every weekend.

John Hillsman, the best friend a big man can have. I will never stop coming to the area for our monthly catfish dinners. You are a true buddy.

Pierre Smith, the only renaissance man I have ever met. The day I met you I knew you were a rare person. My life is enriched weekly by having you and Larry as friends. BTW keep the Texas Pete Boiled Peanuts coming!

Ed, Joe, Doc, Ralph, Jim, Corey, Bobby and Alan, thanks for the kind words and encouraging visits. Each of you help in ways you will never know, even though I like dressing like a bum while I work.

Dad, without you, the first part of this journey would have failed. I will never for get when you and I played U-Haul(a slang term for death trap) Survivor. We should have received a million dollars for that trip!

Sam Phillips, my long time friend and aviation mentor, from Denmark, GA. You are the best friend and resource a guy could ever have. The fried chicken is always free/on me in Sandersville.

Dave Hamilton, Tim Krieder, Mike Stewart, Dick Sipp, Jerry Hudson, Malhon Russell, Thurmond and Sofia Kent, thanks for the friendship, visits, information, phone calls and help getting the truck out of the ditch. I appreciate each of you.

Most of all thanks to my wife, Maggie, my sons, Trey and Ted, and the family mut, RD. I love each of you and we will take a cruise when this project is complete.

Lastly, thanks Doug for this labor of yours. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for our virtural water cooler.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Robby Knox
RV-8 called Xcess
N2XS reserved

Back