What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10

ddnebert

Well Known Member
OK, the Lancair IV-P is a pretty impressive aircraft. What would be involved in allowing the RV-10 to fly higher with comfort for the passengers? I see that there is supercharging available for the IO-540, but with a $16K addl pricetag - that'd let the engine breathe. What is required to maintain cabin pressurization?

Doug.

Cabin pressure

A pump.

AND, an airframe designed to hold the pressure in, which the -10 isnt.

Best to go with a O2 system, and forget trying to pressurize.

My 2cents

Mike

Last edited:
Pressurizing

There would be considerably more than just 16K for an engine to considering pressurizing the air frame. If this is your choice, sorry to say the Lancair is a better option. Have flown a 4VP, and it was very impressive. So was the price tag. :eek:

Prerssure releif valves...

Yep, I would not worry much about the airframe of the 10 holding pressure, you have 5 large, tinted, plexiglass relief valves that wil relieve the pressure before any airframe deformation!
Glen

I'll be even more direct:

You are comparing a Cessna P-210 to a 182. COMPLETELY different missions.

If you want to go high, fast and pressurize, go with the Lancair. If you want to save money, cruise around 200MPH, go with the RV-10. Sure you could super or turbo the RV, but it would only get you about 20mph, besides the fact that it wasn't designed for high-altitude. So in short, No they don't compare. Maybe look at the Lancair ES Vs. and RV10, they are more in the same class.

ddnebert said:
OK, the Lancair IV-P is a pretty impressive aircraft. What would be involved in allowing the RV-10 to fly higher with comfort for the passengers? I see that there is supercharging available for the IO-540, but with a $16K addl pricetag - that'd let the engine breathe. What is required to maintain cabin pressurization?

Doug.

Doug,
I'll make it simple, a different airplane!
These are the type of questions that cause Van to lose sleep at night. Remember that Van published a question from several people about adding HP, ALL BEFORE THE PROTOTYPE HAD EVEN FLOWN! Since the plane has some safety margins I sure youe could use a few additional HP without damage. But an additional 25%, not really safe. Pressurization, not even remotely possible. Remember that the Lancair IV P has a base KIT price of more than most will spend for their completed RV-10! Lancair has even reported some problems with the pressurized versions when they have designed for it. The RV-10 will carry 4 real people at 200 mph. With reasonable comfort and a reasonable price. Trying to make it something it isn't is unsafe if you aren't a aircraft engineer capable of designing your own aircraft.
Bill Jepson
Rotary10-RV

Yup, you're trying to match the wrong airplane to the wrong mission (probably because you are aware of the difference in price between the aircraft).

You could take it a step further and wonder what it would take to modify an RV-10 to fulfill the mission of an F-16. While that's a bit ludicrous of an example, it makes the point well.

Speed and altitude

I ran across this excellent article, reproduced from the RVator that explains the unusual hazards of flying at height and the "Instrument that Lies".

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

I'll stick to the basic RV-10 idea. Just ordered the tail/empennage kit and will be attending the Alexander Technical Center class in early February.

Doug.

Back