What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Information Session at Airventure?

erice

I'm New Here
I'm new to the VAF forums. I'm an inactive Ham, and relatively new pilot. I just recently discovered APRS, and it fascinates me. I've researched some local ham radio clubs (Reading, Pennsylvania area), and even contacted someone who runs a local digi, but I haven't found anyone locally who could give me a hands-on demonstration, or see it in action.

This forum has been the single greatest source of information about APRS!

My question is, will there be any workshop, lecture, demonstration, etc., about APRS at Airventure Oshkosh 2009? I didn't see it listed on their master schedule. I supposed the best bet would be to hang out in the Vans area and look for someone with some expertise. Any advice?

If I don't make it to Airventure, what's the best way to find a local APRS mentor (they used to call them Elmers)?

Thanks.

-Eric
KC3PL

Ask Away

Hey Eric,

Ask any Q's you might have right here! There are some great resources like Sam B, always willing to help. I know a bit, and others know much more.

Most of the equipment can be mail ordered easily.

Good Luck!

PacComm Tiny-2

Well, here are a couple of questions.

I have an old PacComm Tiny-2 TNC. After I dug it out of a box and blew off the dust, I hooked it up to my equally dusty Azden PCS-3000 2-meter transceiver, tuned to 144.39 MHz. I can hear packet activity, but the TNC doesn't read/interpret it. At least I can't seem to make it recognize anything.

Next, I downloaded the AGWPE software. It seems to be complicated to set up. It looks like I can use my PacComm TNC in KISS mode to monitor packets on 2-meters, but I am still getting nothing. Should I be able to monitor APRS packet activity? I'm wondering about setting up a digi or igate. I wonder if the computer itself is generating too much RFI.

I guess what I should really do is give up on the 20-year-old equipment I have sitting around, and order some Byonics gear! It might ease the frustration level. :)

Back