What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Orleans Lakefront

Lakefront FBO

I used Flight Line First about a year ago on a several day stay. They hangared my airplane at no cost (the hangar had significant damage from hurricane Katrina, but was better than the ramp). Fuel price was the best on the field. I was very satisfied with their service, however they are still in the recovery phase and their facility was in a temporary double wide while they rebuild.

Lakefront

Not on the FBO but worth mentioning.....

The runway runs to the north basically into Lake Ponchartrain. More than a few VFR pilots have found themselves disoriented and gone for swims shortly after takeoff on calm, cloudy/hazy days where there is little in the way of wave action or contrast to delineate between sky and water.

Someone gave me the heads up before I flew there the first time a number of years ago---turned out to be good advice as the weather was such that the mentioned conditions were present both coming and going---I can see how a non IFR pilot could get in trouble.

Also the wind can get brisk coming off the water. Don't hestitate to ask the tower for the cross runway. If you are coming in off the lake and landing from the north, you have a LONG runway. Don't try to put it down on the numbers. Land a bit long because if you come up short, you will be swimming.

Hey Phil,

I did an overnight trip to New Orleans Lakefront 6 weeks ago and parked at Flight Line First... nice place and great service! Hangar was $20/night, self serve gas was reasonably priced and the FBO building itself had just re-opened the day before. Brand new, beautiful facility; the weather briefing room was surprising, 3 computers with big screen LCD monitors... sweeet.

John

Back