What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Endorsement?

Do us old folks who have flown conventional geared aircraft in our past have to get a "tailwheel endorsemet"? or are we grandfathered?

Thanks

I have the time logged prior to the date given..... Thank you for the interesting link; it was a very good source for the answer and good information a well.

Tailwheels

Those are good reads. Remember, tailwheel skills, like a lot of things in aviation, are all about currency. If you have been trained properly in the past it will come back fairly easily but you will get rusty. I had a reasonable background in tailwheels, C-140 through DC3 but when I was ready to fly my RV8, I realized that my last encounter with a tailwheel was 20+ years earlier. So looked up an instructor to get current. His comment was, "Well, your feet haven't atrophied to badly!" Thanks.. I think. :rolleyes:

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

first tailwheel instruction

I just had my first tailwheel instruction last week.

I read ahead, and thought I knew what to expect; however, there is definitely more of a "practised knack" involved than I forecast.

I left the airport feeling a mite humbled, with a greater respect for conventional gear pilots, and with a feeling that when I get the tailwheel endorsement, I should be a better pilot for the training.

(Still building an -A, however.)

I've had just barely enough time in taildraggers to realize how much you have to pay attention to them on the ground, and to realize that I really like that challenge. Almost all my time is in nose-gear aircraft, and my current 9A build will be almost exclusively for business travel (no dirt strips) so it stays as a 9A - but I've already decided my "repeat offender" status will be earned with a taildragger, currently set on a Harmon Rocket.

Back