What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS "Panel Mount"

txaviator

Well Known Member
Somewhere I recently saw a prototype for a panel insert, which would take one of the normal handheld GPS units (Garmin, etc.) and make it a dash/panel mount. It looked as if you could almost flush mount it into the panel, rather than having it protruding out. I am thinking this may be a nice option to get the semi 'in panel' look, but save a ton of money versus a regular moving map, panel mount.

Does anyone recall seeing this device, or info about it? Thanks!

Not sure about a device, but my Lowrance Airmap 1000 mounts right in the panel and protrudes no more than 3/4 inch. They have the case engineered for us homebuilders, me thinks....

Regards,

With just a small amount of work you can install a handheld in the panel and have it look really nice. I made a bracket that holds a 196 in my panel and it came out great. If you want I can post some pics.

I see that you just ordered your kit. By the time you get to the panel you will have more than enough skill and spare material to make any type of special bracket you need. No need buying some part you can make in a few minutes. :D

Thanks for the replies!

I appreciate the tips. My thought process is that I have yet to buy a GPS, and while building, I sure would like to take the plunge and buy one for my current flying. Then, I wanted something I could panel mount in a flush type manner, later in the -7.

Speaking of the Lowrance 1000, I really like that one. And for a few hundred more, the 2000c looks awesome!

Someone also sent me a PM with the website for that mounting bracketry I was searching for. It is located on http://www.experimentalaero.com.

However, like you guys said, I am certain I could just fabricate something to work just as well.

Thanks!

Hi Gary:

If you take as long as I have to build your RV (going on 7 years), by the time you are ready for a GPS for your RV there will be some new, next generation out there. For example a unit with GPS and weather or some sort of thing, along the lines of the anywheremap products. What I am saying is don't commit to anything in your panel until you are ready for it. Otherwise you might miss out on the latest, coolest, and hopefully most useful new gadget. If you need a GPS for flying now, get a good handheld, such as a Lowarance Airmap 500. Then when you get the new fangled model of the future, you can still have your handheld as a backup.

As to the Lowarance 1000.....Great unit. I got mine last summer at OSH for a steal....$599.00. Could not pass it up. Fits really nice in my panel and has a nice big screen that lends itself well to panel mounting.

Good luck with that empenage! Enjoy the journey.

Regards,

I understand what you mean, since I am in the manufacturing business (work for Honeywell, in the security and fire business). We own about a 73% marketshare on all products manufactured, pertaining to security and fire devices. Just as soon as we introduce a new product, a newer version is already being developed!

I know I am a long way from really worrying about something to mount in my -7 panel, but if I can get something really useful now, and still upgrade it to use in the future, I have won both ways...used it in the interim, and then use it in the -7. As you mention though, it may not work out that way based on new technology.

However, seeing the 2000C yesterday in person, I think I just "have to have it". The color is really nice, regarding airspace..since I live in the DFW area, this is very critical. Granted, you know your boundaries via the maps and visual landmarks, but seeing it in moving color is nice too. I think I just may have to make the plunge! Note: Working for Honeywell, I looked into getting the Honeywell Skyforce (color) Skymap, but they weren't as liberal as I had hoped with the good old employee discount. :mad:

Thanks!

Gary,
I panel mounted my AirMap 2000 with the mounts that come with it. Fits like a glove and looks great in my 6A flip up. It sticks out about 1/2 inch and I turned it slightly to the left for better visibility. With the factory ram type mounts, it can be flush or stick out as much as you want.

Kurt..

Thanks for the reply about the 2000C. Can you post a photo of your installation? Or, if you don't have the hosting capability to link the photo to, can you email me one? I will try to post it up, if you want?

BTW, can you shed any pro's and con's about the 2000C? It sure looks like a sweet unit to me! How about visibility in sunlight; also how about being able to easily identify airspace via the colorations? I also see that AvMap makes one very similar, but it appears that the 200C may have a few more features as standard options.

Thanks for any further info!

If you go to my website and click on "Panels", at the bottom of the page is some pictures titles "stuff" which shows my flush mount Garmin 196 that pops out quite easily if I want it to. I did that last year, but if I had my drutherw now, I'd use an AVMap EKP-IF, which is perfectly rectangular and almost 50% larger than the Garmin, not to mention it's in color. I think it would be much easier to mount in a panel in place of the Garmin with it's odd kidney shaped hole.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Stein

http://www.steinair.com

Mike:

My Airmap 1000 has the same chassis as the 2000 and I did not use the mounting hardware provided. I made a "U" shaped mounting bracket that screws into the two threaded holes in the back of the unit that are used for the yoke mount provided with the GPS.

The bracket I made clamps the GPS to the backside of the instrument panel. If I could figure out how to post a picture here I would. If I click on the picture icon to insert a photo, I get a message asking me to enter the text I want to be formatted(???) :confused:

If you would like I can email you a couple of pictures of my installation.

Regards,

Jeff...

I am interested, too. If you could send me the photos via email, I will gladly post them.

Also, I will find the link that was previously written, regarding how to post photos. Once I find it, I will forward you all of the details on how to do it in the future.

Thanks!

Airmap 1000 panle mount

Mike:

I finally figured out how to post a picture so I will post my panel mounted Airmap 1000 here

848image195-med.jpg

The mount you see is made of .063 angle and .060 aluminum sheet. I can access the mount from under the panel to remove the GPS for battery replacement at each annual. The unit is powered off of ship's power, however, and will automatically switch to battery power if ship's power is lost.

848image144-med.jpg

Hope these help out.

Regards,

Lowrance 200C

Jeff,

I have the color 2000C. It is like the 1000 but it has a slightly narrower display. Great photos, I plan on using your technique. One question, is the bracket physically attached to the back of the instrument panel, or does the entire assembly, bracket and all, come out when you take out the mounting screws?

Thanks,

Mike Morris

Hi Mike:

The bracket is not mounted to the panel. When you screw the bracket to the back of the GPS, it effectively clamps the unit to the panel. That is why you need to use .060 aluminum so it is stiff enough to clamp things in place. You also want to make the sides of the bracket just a smidge long so the bracket flexes a small amount and puts pressure on the back of the instrument panel. The .063 angle is not wide enough to do this, so I sandwiched a piece of .060 over it to make it reach the back of the panel.

I made the bracket wide (deep? Top to bottom we'll say) so that it will stabilize the GPS, otherwise all the clamping force was at the top of the GPS due to the mounting holes being located more toward the top of the unit.

With it configured as shown in the pictures, I cannot get the GPS to move at at all. Its nice and solid in there. BTW....the holes to the left of the Lowrance are now covered up by a patch of aluminum. That's what happens when you switch gears most of the way through completing an instrument panel!! :D

Glad the pictures helped you out.

Regards,

The other color "handheld" GPS you may want to consider is the AvMap EKP-IV. I've seen one in person and am planning on panel-mounting one in my Midget Mustang later this year. They are commonly available for around $1500. The display quality rivals anything out there.

Their website: http://www.avmapnavigation.com/

Just a thought...

Rod
MM-1 re-build underway
RV-8 #81964 @ wings stage and holding...

Reading on the AvMap forum, it sounds like terrain awareness is promised but not available. True?

>>Reading on the AvMap forum, it sounds like terrain awareness is promised but not available. True?<<

This is my understanding. Terrain is planned, but not yet available. From what I've heard, it will be a free software update when (if) it finally arrives.

In my mind, terrain awareness in a GPS unit is a whiz-bang feature, I probably wouldn't use anyway. My Midget Mustang won't be set up for IMC and I won't fly at night in the mountains in a single engine airplane. I may be singing a different tune re: terrain awareness when it comes time to equip my RV-8 for flight in IMC...

Different strokes for different folks, but I'm more concerned with airspace than terrain for my style of sport flying. I've seen various GPS units with terrain. Personally, I find that it clutters up the map more than I'd like. Planned/actual track, airports, airspace and navaids are what I'm interested in seeing on a moving map--pretty much in that order of importance.

It's good that you brought up this point, however. Terrain might be a deciding factor for some folks...

Best regards,

Rod

Back