What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak performance?

jeff beckley

Well Known Member
I am looking for some input from owners that have been flying behind the new EFIS and autopilot. Trutrak's forums are pretty sparse. Any place I can go to get real input?

This is probably the best forum for feedback on anything experimental. Just don't mention your aircraft type (much) if it isn't an RV!

:D

I'm flying behind my second TruTrak, and it is awesome.

My first was a DFC200, and I had two complaints. One was that if I ran it off the aircraft static system it would PIO. That was solved by simply using cabin air for the autopilot only (but that can cause it's own problem if you change vent or window settings and aren't expecting it). The other was a problem that is well documented now, but which I was one of the first to complain about - a tendency of the autopilot to either dive or climb (depending on whether you had the pitch reverse jumper installed) when you keyed the radio.

The static problem can be "solved" by using the smallest possible diameter static lines and using the "Static Lag" adjustment of the autopilot. However, I'll point out that even under ideal circumstances if you fly through rain you might get some bobbling as water droplets roll across the static port - so why bother? Cabin air is just fine for the autopilot.

The radio problem has also been resolved with a filter TruTrak now keeps in stock. They are investigating exactly which pin is the offending culprit so they can build the filter into their newer products. It only ever affected some airplanes, mostly of the fiberglass variety.

All of that said, I have my current Digiflight II VSGV linked to a Garmin GNS 480 (on the ARINC ports) and Garmin 496 (on the serial ports). It will fly a coupled precision GPS approach better than you can once you get the settings optimized for your airplane. It also can act as a redundant attitude system - if you get confused, just turn on the autopilot and set it to altitude hold.

Thanks for your review but I am specifically interested in the EFIS. The AP is built into that. I would like to know how it plays with a GNS430.

Thanks for your review but I am specifically interested in the EFIS. The AP is built into that. I would like to know how it plays with a GNS430.

Jeff,

The AP in the EFIS will work perfectly with a 430. If you have a 430W, I suggest looking at the EFIS AP IV. It gives you the capability to fly an LPV precision approach all on the autopilot. I hope this helps!

Sorry I misunderstood - you used the words "EFIS" and "Autopilot" separately...

FWIW, my understanding is that the circuitry is identical as far as the autopilot is concerned - they just added a display to show the pilot what the autopilot already knew about "which way is up."

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Lucas. I just have a non W 430. Will the AP fly a localizer approach? Will the EFIS display localizer/glideslope output from the 430?
I do not want to have to upgrade to to a 430W to at least fly localized approaches.

Thanks for the reply Lucas. I just have a non W 430. Will the AP fly a localizer approach? Will the EFIS display localizer/glideslope output from the 430?
I do not want to have to upgrade to to a 430W to at least fly localized approaches.

Jeff,

The AP will not fly the localizer. The AP portion is GPS driven only. We are working on an interface box so that the EFIS can display all the analog output info of the 430 (GS, LOC, VOR) as right now it cannot. If you have an SL30, it will at this time. Thanks!

I was told that back at Sun and fun that it would be incorporated into the EFIS.
It is just simple serial data. The 430 outputs serial loc/gs/vor signals. I had that same connection going to a Blue Mountain EFIS and AP and it worked very well. I know they are kaput but all the same it worked.
I am very disappointed that your EFIS will not fly localized approaches as I was going to order one at oshkosh.
The list is getting smaller..

Back