What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Mag Gasket Part #'s, SB3-08A.

Jamie

Well Known Member
I am performing the SB3-08A service bulletin on my slicks. I have 4371 mags, both of which are impulse-coupled. I removed the mags and the impulse-adapters and am having one helluva time trying to find the correct part #'s for the gaskets I need to use for re-installation. Between Unison selling their Slick line to Champion and Superior going belly up I am having a hard time finding what I need (although I love my XP-360, their manual they provided with their XP-360s was a freaking joke. No part #s, no torque values, nothing but a few drawings of the engine).

I have heard many admonitions about using the incorrect gasket on mags and how it can lead to bad news (i.e. cracked mag casings or mags falling off), so I want to obviously get this right.

In case anyone is wondering about the status of my SB3-08A inspection...my mags are sequential serial #'s and it looks like I am going to have to replace the coil on one but not the other (tab has a distinct depression in it from the brush). That's gonna set me back a cool $260 or so...for a single coil. The trade-in price for a NEW 4301 mag is ~$650. Go figure.

Also, as for these Slick part kits....I cannot find anywhere what parts are contained in each kit. Does anyone have a list of that? Apparently the coil kit may or may not contain the carbon brush, for example. Anyone have a list of these kit contents?

Wow........

Gil- You are amazing!

Amazingly Good, that is............:) You never fail to come up with the "goods".

Keep that accurate info coming our way, with thanks,

My parts manual shows two different gaskets.

The Bendix mag gasket (62224) is used with the Bendix mag and under the impulse coupling adapter.

The Slick mag gasket LW-12681.

I recently purchased a few of each from Aeroinstock.com. PMA gaskets were under $1 US each.

Part numbers are the same for 360 / 320 engines recommended by Van's for use in RVs.

IMHO, the Bendix mag gasket could be use with the Slick mag but the Slick mag gasket SHOULD NOT be used with the Bendix mag. The Bendix mag has EARS that have washers and nuts to hold the mag to the engine. If a Slick mag gasket were to be used, it would cause stress under the mounting ears.

More info. Shamelessly borrowed from here.

This describes the issue I mentioned about mags failing due to improper gaskets being installed.

What Magneto Gasket do I use?

The following article is a copy of an article printed in the Transport Canada Aviation publication titled Feedback, Issue 1/95. This article is reproduced with the kind permission of Transport Canada Aviation.

"Transport Canada (TC) has recently been informed of certain Piper and Mooney aircraft, powered by Lycoming engines, which had magnetos installed with incorrect gaskets. The magnetos were Bendix S-20 and S-200 series from Teledyne Continental Motors (TCM). The first report was a Piper PA23-250, powered by a Lycoming IO-540 engine, which had a magneto fall off in flight in the USA. According to the A&P mechanic who repaired the aircraft, the failure was caused by the installation of an incorrect gasket which did not provide proper support for the mounting flange, causing the flange to fail. It is thought that the thickness of the gasket had a bearing on the failure. The aircraft's remaining three magnetos were inspected and were also found to have incorrect gaskets installed and, although two of the magnetos were cracked, none had progressed to failure. This particular magneto application calls for the installation of two Lycoming gaskets (P/N 62224), one on each side of the adapter plate. The failed magneto on this aircraft had one P/N 62224 gasket between the adapter and the engine case, but had an LW 12681 gasket, and possibly a TCM P/N 534750 gasket, between the magneto and the adapter plate, which is incorrect.

The repair shop operator, who reported this problem to Transport Canada, has since found two aircraft with the same problem: a Mooney powered by a Lycoming O-360 engine, and a Piper PA24-250 powered by Lycoming O-540 engine. Although incorrect gasket installation was found, none of the magnetos had progressed to failure. None of these magnetos were installed by the engine manufacturer, but had been removed and reinstalled.

TC contacted TCM/Bendix about this problem and was told the magneto gaskets were furnished and installed by the engine manufacturer at time of build-up, and that different engine manufacturers use different gaskets for the same model magneto, e.g. Lycoming engine magneto gaskets differ from Continental engine magneto gaskets. TC also contacted Textron Lycoming, who confirmed that proper installation for the S-20 and S-200 magneto incorporates two P/N 62224 gaskets. These magnetos have an eyelet on the top and bottom of the magneto case, and are mounted using two of these gaskets, one on each side of the adapter plate.

The Lycoming LW 12681 gasket is used in certain applications when the magneto is secured by clamps, as in the case of S-1200, S-2000 and S-2200 magnetos. It is possible that through misunderstanding of the parts catalogue, or a simple mistake at re-installation of a magneto, that incorrect gaskets were used. AMEs are reminded that extra precautions should be taken when new parts are drawn from stores and used during re-installation. The gaskets were all authentic Bendix magneto gaskets. It was their particular application that was faulty in these instances."

IMHO, the Bendix mag gasket could be use with the Slick mag but the Slick mag gasket SHOULD NOT be used with the Bendix mag. The Bendix mag has EARS that have washers and nuts to hold the mag to the engine. If a Slick mag gasket were to be used, it would cause stress under the mounting ears.

Ok, Gary...after re-reading your post three or four times it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the input.

Ok, so here's what was on my engine.

I actually had BOTH types of gaskets on mine. On the left is the LW-12681 gasket and on the right is the 6224 gasket (with the ears). On the bottom is my impulse coupler adapter. LW-12681 gasket was between the adapter and the accessory case and the 62224 gasket was between the adapter and the mag. As with the Bendix style mag, it would be a very bad idea to put the LW-12681 gasket between the adapter and the accessory cause because it would flex the ears.

So, I've got several of each gasket type on order.

IMG_0135.JPG

Anyone have any good advice on removing baked/glued on gasket material?

IMG_0137.JPG

Jamie,

Autostores carry gasket remover spray that will make it easier to get that stuff off without damaging the metal.

Gasket lube?

It seems that the gaskets stick to either the mags or engine and so you need new gaskets every time you want to re time the engine. Has any one found a material to put on the gasket to keep it from sticking. Maybe anti sieze or fuel lube?

Thoughts

bumping

It seems that the gaskets stick to either the mags or engine and so you need new gaskets every time you want to re time the engine. Has any one found a material to put on the gasket to keep it from sticking. Maybe anti sieze or fuel lube?

Thoughts
good point. is there such a compound?

good point. is there such a compound?

This Lycoming SI calls for

"Apply Lubriko** grease (or equivalent) to the mating surface of the magneto flange."

and

"On the Champion Slick magneto, from the modification kit, install the new
P/N LW12681 gasket on the mating surface of the greased (Step 7) magneto flange."

http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/t...)/Adapter Kit for Magneto Isolation Drive.pdf

Light Plane Maintenance has some discussion of sealers for the magneto gasket here -

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/184370-1.html?redirected=1

Back