What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hal Darley-June 2009

Vern

Well Known Member
Hal Darley died in June 2009. Although he had a stated goal of living long enough to fly my RV-6A, his health prevented it. Hal was my mentor-more like a big brother than an uncle.

halguitar.jpg

Hal restored the prettiest Luscombe 8-E ever and owned a T-6 and several Pitt's Specials. He let me fly them all.I had the Luscombe at college before I ever had a car there.

luscombe.jpg

t6rr2.jpg

halvernpitts045.jpg

luscombe8e.jpg

Hal was at Edwards AFB during the glory years and knew most of the early x-series test pilots and early astronauts. He flew with Paul Mantz and others in a movie filming there at Edwards in the 50's called 'Toward the Unknown'-(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toward_the_Unknown). He knew Wernher_von_Braun. Later he was an Air Traffic Controller and was at Atlanta Center when it got its first radar-off a battleship!

Building time and seeking a job with Delta Airlines, Hal eventually got his chance when he by-passed HR and had an appointment with Delta president CE Woolman,who raised the age limit and hired Hal the next day. Hal flew the DC-6, DC-7, DC-8, DC-9, Convair 880, L-100, 727, and L-1011.

hal.png

He was an active IAC member and judge.

Besides mentoring me, he would teach anyone with a sincere interest in flying, even at his own expense.

He could pick a mean guitar and loved all things Chet Atkins.

He was great friends of George Cowan and Frank English,listed elsewhere in this forum.

Hal loved a good prank. An EAA member decided to 'streak' Macon, GA in his Breezy. Hal in his Luscombe was there to record the event for us.

streakingmacon047.jpg

Last edited:
Vern,

Sorry to read about your Uncle. He sounds like a great man and you are better for having known and flown with him.

Thanks for posting Vern, and sorry for your loss.

Most of us have (or have had) people that provide that kind of influence in our lives. These are the ones that have inspired us, entertained us, and trained us. They often have supported our flying addictions when we could not have supported them ourselves. They are special folks. We should strive to pay it back and be the mentors and aviation enablers for future generations.

Vern,
Sorry for your loss. I flew with Hal at Delta on the 727. I remember one trip we were at ATL for about 5 hours between flights and he took me to his home in College Park to meet his wife. We had lunch, he picked a tune on his guitar and then we went down to Griffin to check out his hangar and home he was building. He was a lot of fun and a great guy to fly with!

Truer words..

....... They are special folks. We should strive to pay it back and be the mentors and aviation enablers for future generations.
....were ne'er spake.

It's good to tell the remaining family members about their departed loved ones episodes as has been done here...fond remembrances...and a reminder of the journey we'll all take. Yep, give back some of what you've received.

Regards,

Vern,

I am truly sorry for the loss of your uncle. He sounds like an inspiring individual.

Let it be said that you are giving the finest tribute to his legacy by mentoring others (like me!) to build and fly aircraft. I'm sure he would be very proud that you are carrying on the passion for flying he shared with you.

Jeff

Back