What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Antenna

CBRXXDRV

After searching the RV Matronics list I found that under the empennage fairing was as good a place as any to mount the ELT antenna. (Mounting the antenna on the rear most bulkhead pointing rearward). The use of a Rubber Duck antenna was mentioned. Now that I am cross eyed from reading archives I still have no idea were to find a Rubber Duck antenna. Any help?

ELT antenna

I would be very careful about mounting an antenna in this location or substituting antennas. I know an ELT is a pain to buy, install and maintain, but it has a purpose.

You want it to work properly when it has to.

My advice is to contact the ELT manufacturer before you make a decision. An ELT antenna is NOT the same as a Comm antenna. Substituting a different antenna can lead to false triggering or poor operation.

My $.02

Vern Little

vlittle said:
I would be very careful about mounting an antenna in this location or substituting antennas. I know an ELT is a pain to buy, install and maintain, but it has a purpose. ...
Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions about another way to do it? I seriously can't find another way. The antenna that came with the ELT is too long to fit here. I did speak to several experts, and they all said this antenna would work fine. Since the ELT sends out a signal on standard VHF frequencies, I'm not sure why this antenna would not work, but I'm willing to learn!

Here's a link

I'm not building yet (but will be soon) so I search the Internet for data and tips. I ran across this several months ago. Looks good to me. What do you think?

http://www.rv-8.com/Panel.htm

Scroll down about 2/3rds, you'll see the picture and paragraph about it.

Rat

Thanks for the link. I had seen this before, but the antenna seems to have been shortened. My ELT antenna is about 6 inches longer than this one, which is why I went with the rubbery ducky antenna.

Back