What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures & Info: AP installation

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I have read all 18 post to date in the "Autopilots" forum category, and I am still not clear how and where the servos go for the wing leveler or the altitude hold, and what is required in the installation.

I am new to Auto Pilots, so I think starting this thread will help other newbies as well.

1) Can you guys please explain where and how these APs get installed, hopefully you have some pictures?
2) If you add it while you are in the build stage where do you put them?
3) If you add them after you have been flying where do you put them?
4) What is the differces between the servos available (brushless, engaging gearset, etc etc)?

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards
Rudi

PS: I am about to close my wings, so I'd like to add what I need now already, but not buy the full AP at this stage.

Last edited:
This is a Trutrak roll servo.

trutrakservosmall1xx.jpg

Pete

Trutrak install kit

If you decide to go with Trutrak you can purchase an install kit for around $50 that includes the brackets and connectors so you can install the wiring and the mounting brackets deferring the electronics and servos until later. See the order form on their webpage.

I am stuck at LAX with nothing to do, so why not chime in. :)

Rudi, I am not too far behind you so I have been looking into this as well. My understanding, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, is that both the TruTrac and Trio units can be added at a later time, but of course it may be easier during construction. If going the TT route, you can purchase the mounting braket now (w/o servo), or if yo are planning on using a Trio, SafeAir1 sells a mounting kit for their servo.

greylingr said:
PS: I am about to close my wings, so I'd like to add what I need now already, but not buy the full AP at this stage.

Rudi--I'm sure you already know this, but do remember that there is no real reason to close up your wings until after the fuselage is complete. Technology is always changing and (usually) getting better and cheaper all the time. I think this is a great argument for leaving the bottom skins off until the last minute. It does look like you're making great progress though.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info...following your links I found a link back to Dan's pages. Dan to the rescue, once again :D, he has some good drawings and photo consolidated on one page.
http://www.rvproject.com/trutrak.html

Anycase I will read and mull over this for the next couple of days and then ask questions again.

I'd like to use this post and make it a AP reference for other newbies.

If you have pictures or comments please add them here, for future AP reference.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Rudi,
I have the trutrak instalation. It is super simple and the kit comes with everything you need. You dont get wiring with the trutrak so you got to make up your own loom.This is the hardest part. The install is straight forward if its done while access is easy.A days work for both servos. Vans sell the kits.
FWIW I have flown with many autopilots in different planes and the Trutrak is as good or better than most. Its also very light so weight is not an issue.
Personally I put a autopilot on the top must have list. Right there with GPS , Comm and ASI.

Bob Collins said:
One chnage I would highly recommend on the installation is appropriate washers on each side of the rod end bearing .

Good call, Bob. I'd also recommend drilled head mounting bolts so they can be lock-wired.

Vern Little RV-9A

Back