What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Count Me In!!

qtrmiledan

Well Known Member
Hello! My name is Danny Baker. I live in Baker, La. I've been researching kitplanes and my flying missions for the last 10 months and have decided on the RVA. Placed my order today. I'm prepping my shop and can't wait to get started. My wife and I both are fairly low time pilots( ~150hrs) I believe the 9A will be perfect for us. We currently have a cherokee 180c. Thanks in advance for all the help and info!

Tell me, Bunker Hill... How does a guy from Louisiana get a handle like Bunker Hill?

Being from New England, I have to ask.

:confused: CJ

Captain_John said:
Tell me, Bunker Hill... How does a guy from Louisiana get a handle like Bunker Hill?

Being from New England, I have to ask.

:confused: CJ
My handle is qtrmiledan. One of the other hobbies is drag racing.

Bunker Hill said:
Where is Baker, LA located? Our Rv-4 project is located north of Monroe. Must be nice to have a town named ofter you ;)
Baker is just north ( 5 miles ) of Baton Rouge. My wife tells people we are the "King & Queen" of Baker ! Just kidding- We moved here about 8 years ago-from Baton Rouge- 5 miles- Didn't move very far did we? What can I say- this is home.

My uncle flew F4U Corsairs from the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) during WWII, managed to get shot down, and was back aboard the ship when it was set ablaze by two Kamikaze strikes. He survived to tell about it, all of which ultimately inspired me to become a aviation history buff, pilot, and now a published author. My father's passion for flight coupled with my uncle's military history are what inspired me to fly, so my handle is kind of a tribute to that.

Welcome Danny

Just wanted to say that you that you will love your 9A. From the sound of your post you might not have ridden in one yet...? My wife and I had a Cherokee 180 also before the 9A and can't believe the thrill of stepping up to the 9A. Trim it to the Cherokees cruise speed and you will hold a reading on your VSI that will shock you! At this speed you will hold a greater climb rate than your Cherokee does at sea level at best angle and the 9A will hold this at least through 6-7K'. At 12,500 or so where your Cherokee starts to feel mushy, or higher where it takes a real touch to hold altitude the 9A is just really getting into its element. Mine at 13,500 feels just like it does down low. You simply will not believe it until you start to fly yours. Great choice.

Welcome aboard,
Bryan

Bunker Hill said:
My uncle flew F4U Corsairs from the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) during WWII, managed to get shot down, and was back aboard the ship when it was set ablaze by two Kamikaze strikes. He survived to tell about it, all of which ultimately inspired me to become a aviation history buff, pilot, and now a published author. My father's passion for flight coupled with my uncle's military history are what inspired me to fly, so my handle is kind of a tribute to that.

Cool! A fitting tribute! What book did you write?

:) CJ

The book is called "History of the Surviving Corsairs" and it's due out this summer through Historic Aeroplane Works Publishing. It's an exhaustive account of the military and civilian histories of every F4U Corsair to survive beyong their days in the miltary (well over 120 planes). It also covers a number of notable wrecksites throughout the South Pacific, in Lake Michigan, etc. It's twenty years of reseach wrapped up in one publication. If your a warbird fan, I think you'd find it an interesting read :)

Back