What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to road-test?

nauga

Well Known Member
I've wired up a Byonics 8000FA with a Microvolt reg, GPS3, and Byonics rubber duck antenna. Everything checks out as far as I can tell - I can read and load data via the serial port, the GPS locks and I get a green LED, and the TX steps on my auto satellite radio RX when it transmits (red LED and a static hit) so I'm pretty sure *something* is getting out - I'm just not sure *what*. I drove around a bit with it transmitting today including a trip to the highest point in the immediate area, but nothing picked it up, according to aprs.fi. Is there some way of confirming that this thing is working? Is there a list of igates and/or digipeaters somewhere? I figured I could drive by one close by if there is one. I'm in the LA basin, I expected pretty dense coverage but aprs.fi only shows a few gates in the area (by my read). Any suggestions?

Nauga
N416RV/KI6YDF

Update: Got a single good hit this morning, so at least I know the data is getting out. Signal strength...? That's another matter, I'm betting coverage will improve when airborne, and I can deal with that later.

Nauga

Is my tracker working?

The fact that the unit jams your car stereo is a pretty good indication that you are putting out serious power levels. I assume that when you say you see a green LED that you are getting a solidly lit green LED, as opposed to a flashing LED indicating the GPS is not locked on. I also assume that you programmed it to send a beacon at a regular rate 9 not using Smart Beaconing" which can complicate testing. If not, set it for two minutes, and use the path "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" not the path suggested for airctaftm but the right patch for an automobile. Let me know how its working.

Allen
VHS
AF60F

Thats exactly what i did last week with mine. gps was in a window, unit on a desk in a steel work shop and 12 miles from the nearest station, had web page loaded and had it pop up on the screen within 2 seconds of sending firs transmit after aquiring gps signal.......this thing is awesome !!!!!!

Let me know how its working.
OK...in short, it's not. :( I started another thread about how the configuration loses the callsign and digi path from time to time (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45129)...that's still happening. After driving past (within ~100 yds) of a couple of known digipeaters and/or igates and still not getting hits I'm not sure where to go next.

Details:
I have an external (roof-mounted) antenna now.
I've tried:
WIDE2-1
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
WIDE2-2 (based on a little local searching)
Smart beaconing on and off
All other settings as per the configuration thread in this forum.
MT8000FA set to 144.390 and the power pot full clockwise, external (car roof-mount) antenna
GPS3
Microvolt voltage reg
Solid green LED (GPS lock)
Red LED flashes on xmit (and I get a static burst on my satellite RX)

Through all these permutations I've gotten a single hit. One. Two weeks ago. I don't think this is simply a range issue...any suggestions?

Nauga

Last edited:
The idea that your non-volatile chip has a volatile memory concerns me. I think we have to assume that something bad has happened to the PIC. I can send you a new one, or you can send your whole setup back to me for testing/repair. Let me know which you would like to do.

Allen
VHS

The idea that your non-volatile chip has a volatile memory concerns me. I think we have to assume that something bad has happened to the PIC. I can send you a new one, or you can send your whole setup back to me for testing/repair. Let me know which you would like to do.
I sent you an e-mail. Thanks!

Nauga

It seems to be working better now - I've gotten a few hits on a few road routes in a day of testing. I'm not sure what the problem was but I'm going to chalk it up to some combination of things:
1) APR density in the LA basin. Between cars and ships and airplanes there's a TON of APRS activity in my area - I may not be shouting loud enough to be heard except at lower traffic times. Early mornings seem to work best

2) Overdriving the transmitter - I've turned down the power a little below full blower based on recommendations from Allen at VHS.

3) GPS proximity to TX. After Allen suggested high signal strength might step on the GPS signals I added an extension to the GPS line so it can be moved ~12" from the transmitter.

I don't know if one or all or none of these are the main cause of my issues but things seem to be working a *little* better, and I'm hopeful that it will check out in flight. Maybe some of this will help the next guy who has trouble.

Thanks to Allen at VHS, who took the time to personally check my system, then patiently step me through a bit of troubleshooting when I got it back.

Nauga

Back