What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Economical Shipping in Canada

Darren S

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am the proud new owner of an RV-7 QB !!! Finally :) Anyways, I live in Calgary and the kit is in Toronto. There is no motor, Fuse is built (QB), emp is off and wings are built (QB). Then some misc. accessories like engine mount, canopy etc..

Can I get some help with finding out the most economical transportation in Canada. Uhaul wants $4500 for a truck rental one way !! I said forget that. Penske I believe only does one way within the US. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I could rent a 6'x12' Uhaul utility trailer for $700 but I'm not sure the fuse and wings would fit well.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Darren

darren

So, a couple of "way out there" possibilities:

a) Fly WestJet on a one way seat sale to T.O. Rent a one way to CowTown.

b) Buy a well used three ton -18 foot cube (cheap) in T.O. Pick up blankets at a thrift store. Get some extra muscle from the VanHeads;)
in the TO area (it might cost you lunch and beers):eek: drive it back West, then sell it. If you come up $500 short on the sale it's no big deal.
The move only cost you $1000. Just a few thoughts.
Regards...and congrats on finding your RV!

I would ask some shipping firms about cargo container rent/shipping.
I believe you could rent a container, pack everything in it and then ship across the country at a fairly reasonable rate. I have heard of folks shipping furniture/whole house contents etc out west that way and for about $1500 the trucking is covered. Much cheaper then moving firms. The seller will likely do a good job packing it up for you. Sorry to hear an ontario builder packed it in.:mad:

Last edited:
call a local trucking company, i am sure the will have room coming back at some point in thier fleet.

Thanks for the help guys,

I've been Googling for two days to find a shipper/transportation company but nothing so far.

There are people in the area willing to drive back to Calgary but they have no truck. Maybe the "buy a truck and sell it" idea is worth looking into.

I checked into a "PODS" container type of system where they leave the container for you to pack up and then they come and transport it. That would be good, but they want $6000 + for that precious service !!! Yeah right.

I should be able to get this bird to my garage for $ 1200-1500. That was my target price. A one way West jet ticket is $200 - 280. I could get a local Calgarian to fly out and drive back, but again no truck.

Thanks for the help. This is only day 2 of checking. Something will come up.

Any suggestions on a Shipping company I could try ? I can't seem to find one.

Darren

I certainly dont know jack about shipping, but if you can think of any products made your way that get shipped all over calling that manufacturers shipping guy might be worth 10 minutes. Most people are happy to give us suggestions and if they ship 40skids of x to ontario every week...well you never know.
I had a friend move out west, he called some BC tree/nursery growers and made some contacts. Some growers ship so much to Ontario he got a great deal filling up a truck going back that way to get the next load.

Sorry, not much help, but the diff between 1500 and 6000 pays for a big barrel of av gas.

Trailer

Hi Darren, I have a 16' cargo trailer in Calgary if that is any use to you. {edit} Oops, spoke too soon, the trailer was sold tonight{edit}

Guess you'd have to find a truck and another driver and drive both ways (1.5 days each way not counting stops!). Also I am not sure if your fuse is more than 16' long. The wings sit on foam on the wheel wells and get strapped to the wall.

Last edited:
Back