What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Molex Extraction Tool for ICOM IC-A200

McFly

Well Known Member
I need a Molex Extraction Tool for a ICOM IC-A200. I wish I had a part number for the type of molex connectors but I don't. The installation directions refer to using a "Molex Extraction tool" but nothing more specific than that. My Radio Shack extractors don't come close to working for this connector.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I thought you were sending me on a snipe hunt

Thanks Will.

Wow, there was a part number (or at least a little identification) stamped on the connector. All it took was a magnifying glass to see it much less read it. :)

The letters at the base of the crimp portion of the connector read "MXN" or "NXW" depending on how you orient the connector.

If you are friends with your dentist, ask him if he/she has any broken perio probes. There is a type of probe that has a round shaft on one end and a flat one on the other. It is my experience that the round end is the one that usually breaks.

The flat end works great. You might have to take it to a grinder to narrow it up a bit. Slide it in from the front of the connector (not the wire side) on the side where the little tab is in the metal connector. The perio probe will deflect that tab so you can pull the connector out toward the wire side of the block.

Regards,

Heres several quick tricks for any of those molex/square pins on radios, intecoms, etc...

Instead of buying the $14-$20 "removal tools" that in themselves are not overlly strong and do break you can try some of the following...all of which I or my guys have done (I didn't come up with all of them, I'm just plagarizing others ideas in most cases)

1st, you can simply use a piece of an old hacksaw blade that you take to your belt sander, basically whittling down one end of it to about 1/16" wide for about 3/4" long. It needs to be a bit narrower than that, but it's a nice trick that works fine.

2nd trick, take a piece of .041 safety wire (the nice heavy stuff), cut yourself a piece about 6 inces long...then smash one end of it flat with a hammer and you have the same things...and it only costs pennies and is disposable.

3rd, a "Bobby Pin" with the nub clipped off the end and unfolded also works really well.

4th, one of the smallest flat blade screwdrivers in a good set of jewlers screwdrivers almost always works just as well too.

There are a few more, but the above are the most popular. Yes, I have the high dollar ones in the shop, but we also have a bunch of the hacksaw blade homeade ones on the tech's benches as well. Cheap, disposable, and easily modified...and as seems to be the norm - when you really need that tool and can't find one, you just make something else work!

Just my 2 cents as usual...but when you have a pin you need removed and no official tool, then necessity is the mother of creativity on these types of projects!

Cheers,
Stein.

Back