What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert from slick to E or P mag

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm thinking about converting a slick mag to a P mag.

Questions:

What brand/type? (I know, I know, what a way to start a good argument)
Best place to buy?
How much?
Left or right (due to starter switch)?
How difficult / what's involved?
Timing / alignment / other?
How long to install?
Is it a pain in the rear?
What will I gain in fuel economy (IO-360) and performance?

In other words, edcuate me to what I might be getting into. The pen needs persuation to write a check.

Webb,

I did that about 15-20 hours into Phase 1. I can only say that I was very pleased with how I did it--not to say that it is the best or only way. I replaced the right mag with an E-Mag. Other than the requisite wiring, it takes a minor re-do of the switch so that the right fires on cranking. Pretty easy.

I gained a solid one gph savings at cruise on an O-320, easier starting and somewhat smoother idle. The only significant performance increase came when I added a P-Mag on the left. That gave me maybe .3 pgh savings, but about 4 mph speed increase. Also a considerably smoother idle (I idle at about 430 rpm since I have a fixed pitch and need the braking on final.)

Installation and timing is super simple. Cost? See their website. I had to send in the E-Mag a couple of times for upgrades. That shouldn't happen now--they seem to have everything bug-free now. Never had any problems, however. If I were doing it again, I might start with a P-Mag, but that really isn't totally necessary.

I think this is a good upgrade. YMMV.

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
I'm thinking about converting a slick mag to a P mag.

Questions:

Best place to buy?
How much?
Left or right (due to starter switch)?
How difficult / what's involved?
Timing / alignment / other?
How long to install?
Is it a pain in the rear?
What will I gain in fuel economy (IO-360) and performance?

- P-mag, there's only one!
- From the factory
- Whatever they charge, difficult to get a discount
- Right, then you can keep the impulse mag on the left
- Not very, take off the mag, remove the gear, fit gear to P-mag & install. Run a +12v supply to P-mag from dedicated breaker. Making the HT leads takes the longest.
- Blow in the manifold pressure tube
- A few hours
- No
- Some, depends on how you operate. Leaning will be smoother.

Pete

Questions:

If you are asking E or P model, it is up to you.

You can save a few bucks with the E model but if you replace your other mag, you will want one P model in the mix. That self powering P-Mag will get you home should your electrical system go Tango Uniform.

I bought two P-mags simply because the cost difference for the second one wasn't that great, in the whole scheme of things.

Back