What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matching Paint and Polish

todehnal

Well Known Member
I'm going to polish the fuselage and I am looking for the best color match to paint some fiberglass areas, like the cowl, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't sure if adding metal flake would make a better match, or to just use a grey/silver. I have a Dupont dealer in my area, but he wasn't much help with a color match for polished alclad.

Tom

Imron Indian Silver Metallic (color code N8075U) works well. A friend with a VERY polished Luscombe has this color, and the result is that you can't tell the diff from a distance. It's on the belly, ailerons, etc.

My Polish/Paint Scheme

I'm building a RV-12. My plan is to polish the fuselage. The wings and tail feathers will be painted. Think of the original PT-22 scheme; yellow wings blue vertical stab, red and white striped rudder and red horizontal. The fuse, being polished, requires the cowl and tail cone to be color matched with paint.

This may be a bit far out for a 12, but I have always admired the decor of the PT-22. So, I plan try to get something close to that on my 12.

Tom

Back