What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I know I should know this, but....

Geo

Admitting ignorance, although humbling, is better that meat-headed stubborness, right?
Well, then can someone please explain me (or point me in the right direction) at what exactly Phase I and Phase II testing refers to?
I have read FAA advisory Circular 89-90; I have flown my rv7A for 37 hrs so far, I have checked all instruments, slow flight charactheristics, power on and off stalls, with and without flaps, etc. I have checked engine performance, cooling, reliability etc, I found out that my prop has a little bit too fine pitch (but good enough for me now, I will break the sound barrier not before next year....); I have NOT done flutter test to VNE yet (looking to borrow a parachute first....), and the airplane is not painted yet, but I scheduled painting at the end of June, and I plan to extend the envelope to design VNE after painting (makes sense, right?)
So, here are some specific questions;
1. My understanding is that after completing all the flight tests and after verifying all the "numbers", THEN i will complete the operating limitations part of the POH. Is this statement correct?
2. After this is done, do I need to notify my local FSDO that my airplane is "good to go", in order to get out of the 40 miles radius test area?
3. The op lim that the FAA inspector gave me said that the airplane is to be operated in day VFR only until 40 hrs of flight. So, since my plane is equipped for IFR, can I just endorse the logbook and say "this airplane is equipped for IFR flightand is now approved for IFR operation" ? (I did have pitot/transponder checked by an avionics shop and it passed).
Thanks for your help.

Phase I testing is your initial fly-off. Typically a minimum of 25 or 40 hours depending on the engine/prop combo. Later, if you make a major modification you'll need to return the aircraft to phase 1 testing (by logbook entry) to validate the modification. If I recall correctly, a 5 hour test period is required. I do not know if FAA notification is necessary.

Once the required initial Phase 1 testing is complete, you make a logbook entry stating that Phase 1 testing is complete (don't hold me to the specific wording, I think my DAR gave me a specific statement to enter) and you're off to Phase 2 testing, which is essentially normal operation of your experimental aircraft. Experimentals are always in a test phase.

I think your statement in your first specific question is correct. At the end of Phase 1, you document the approved maneuvers, speeds, etc. for your airplane.

In my case, no notification of the FSDO was required after the completion of Phase 1. All it took was a logbook entry.

Question 3 - IFR. I'm not even certain you need a logbook entry. You are the authority who determines if your airplane meets the requirements for IFR flight. My airplane is VFR, but if I upgraded the panel, had the pitot/static check done, etc. I could fly it IFR without needing additional approval and without further notifying the FAA.

Hope this helps. If I missed something, I'm sure someone else will jump in...

Well, then can someone please explain me (or point me in the right direction) at what exactly Phase I and Phase II testing refers to?

For those who are young enough to remember Star Trek, Phase 1 & 2 were settings on the stun guns they carried called Phasers.

I think I need to change the canisters on my gas mask. I think the paint fumes are getting through.;)

Last edited:
From what I read, in phase 1 testing, only one person can be in the plane. But can more than 1 person do the phase one testing? Or do all the hours have to be done by the same person?

VFR/IFR

Question 3 - IFR. I'm not even certain you need a logbook entry. You are the authority who determines if your airplane meets the requirements for IFR flight. My airplane is VFR, but if I upgraded the panel, had the pitot/static check done, etc. I could fly it IFR without needing additional approval and without further notifying the FAA.

Maybe. It depends on the wording in the Phase II section of your Operation Limitations. If it says Day, night, IFR/IFR when meeting....blah,blah, you are good to go IFR when properly equipped and qualified. If not, you have more paperwork to do.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

From what I read, in phase 1 testing, only one person can be in the plane. But can more than 1 person do the phase one testing? Or do all the hours have to be done by the same person?

Different pilots can complete the time. I'd just make sure they were insured. :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Geovanni,
Everything should be spelled out specifically in your operating limitations. Normally a call to the FSDO is not required. If you would like, have your operating limitations in hand and give me a call. I'll be happy to walk you through the requirements.
972-784-7544

Thanks!

Thanks to all who have answered and helped.
Mel, I'll give you a call when I have my Op Lim in hand.

Back