What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

McCauley fixed pitch

cjensen

Well Known Member
i see mccauley has a nice looking FP prop on their website, but there is no info on it. anybody know anything about it or using a mccauley FP prop on their RV? i've been reading through the threads on mccauley's CS prop being used on RV's with some re-engineering. the FP mccauley's that i've seen are small, and are used on 152's and the like, but the one on their website looks meatier/bigger. i'm gonna keep my -7 fairly light and simple, so i'll probably use a FP prop of some sort.

so, mccauley fixed pitch anyone?

FP on an RV

You should read what Van says about metal FP props on RV's. Bottom line - Sensenich only; all others dangerous. Proceed at your own risk, therefore.

if it's dangerous, i won't use it. but, can you point me in the direction of where vans says this? i can't find it on the website or plans. i'm just curious as to why everybody uses what they use, and not many use a mccauley (CS or FP), that's all. don't get me wrong, hartzell makes a great prop, so does sensenich (i've had three of 'em), catto, serba, wirlwind, etc...and i'll probably end up using one of the mainstay RV props, but have all the mccauley prop options been explored? now, i'm not gonna go out and test 'em myself, but if anyone has experience with 'em, i'd like to know...i'm a long way from flying, and all these curiosities fly through my mind. as they do, i ask, and learn--just like the alternative engine idea. that sounded like a fantastic idea in the beginning...now, i've asked the questions, learned, applied it, and i'm back to running with a traditional engine. :)

Sensenich & Hartzell

Both these companies have recognized the experimental market. They support it by making products that have experimental aircraft, RV's in particular in mind. They test extensively and work with the kit maker (Van) and us builders to make products tailored for our use. The Sensenich might as well be called the RV prop. It was made for RV speeds, with typical RV power plants (Lycoming).

Like Sensenich, Hartzell's blended airfoil prop line released recently had the faster homebuilt market in mind. In fact Hartzell flight tested props on modified experimental engines, with high comp pistons and electronic ignition, specifically on RV airframes. The point is these companies are making products for us. Using or adapting a prop for other applications are going to be lacking. Specifically fixed pitch metal props used on experimental aircraft have prove to be un-sat or dangerous, producing tragic results. The old trick was to cut down and re-pitch fixed props off of slower planes for faster homebuilts. The result was catastrophic prop failure and loss of airframe.

The point of the above, seemingly a sales pitch, is when dealing with metal props you must test it to assure it will be safe with the engine and airframe. Modification or use of a fixed pitch prop outsides it's limits or design is a big no no.

I do not think McCauley has decided to target the homebuilt market and make specific models for our aircraft, but I could be wrong. Sensenich has been working on there design and refining it for over 10 years. The result are pretty spectacular. It is a no brainer purchase in my opinion, if you want a metal fixed pitch prop. In my opinion it is the absolute best fixed pitch prop choice overall. I prefer constant speed props, but admire the value and performance the fixed pitch Sensenich provides. Based on the fact it was designed and tested for the RV assures close to max efficency you can get from a fixed pitch prop. IT DOES NOT MAKE OTHER PROP BRANDS BAD, PERFORMANCE, VALUE AND OWNERSHIP ARE BETTER OVERALL WITH THE SENSENICH AND HARTZELL. G

Last edited:
thanks george and hevansrv7a. i never thought to look in the catalogue for an explaination of the FP sensenich. good info, and point taken!

george, you are correct as far as i know about mccauley. i'll stick with what we know, since not much (or enough) is known about using these props.

:)

Back