What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Darn MD-RA inspections !

Darren S

Well Known Member
I would like to import an RV-4 kit into Canada. It is partially built and the wings have been closed. I was told by Transport Canada that they use to be able to use a borescope to inspect the wing but now they don't. I really don't want to have to drill off some of the rivets so they can take a 5 minute look inside. There has got to be another way.

Does anyone have any ideas of a way around this ? If I have to drill off a panel on the underside of the wing, how hard is it to do ? I assume the wings are flush riveted.

Thanks,

Darren

I assume the wings are not installed...

...on the aircraft.

If wingtips are not installed (or they are installed with screws)...you can look in from there.

If the wings are not installed, you can look in from the inboard end.

Each wing has an inspection plate on the bottom side...about halfway between the inboard and outboard end...in the area for the aileron bell crank.

It would seem the two "inspectors" could look at each other through the lightening holes of the wing ribs and confirm that the wing was just a wing.

Darn MD-RA

Hi Darren:

I'd suggest giving MD-RA a call and find out who your inspector would be. Give him a call and ask the question.

My experiance with two different inspectors has been positive, they want you to succeed.

There was some question as to wether my Empanage inspection records were transferred from Transport Canada to MD-RA. The MD-RA inspector who did my wings said that if the records did not show up, he would use a mirror and bore scope to do the empanage inspection.

Hope this helps, Terry.

Thanks guys, you've given me hope !

I'm not too familiar with how the -4 wing is built but I've just learned that the wing tanks have not been installed yet, and as such there is a panel loose on the underside of the wing, where the tanks are to go.

This is what the seller just told me. I am awaiting some photos. My hope is that with the wing tips off, the wing root open, the inspection panels out, the fuel tank out......then my inspector would be able to see what he needs to see.

It's a good deal and would save me a bunch of time, but my plan is to email the photos to an MDRA inspector and get some feedback.

Thanks again fellas.

Darren

ps. that is unless some knows of a partially built RV kit in Canada ?? :)

Back