What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone here order from Isham's?

bearair

I'm getting ready to order our tools in about a week, and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with Ishams Tools. They're listed on the Van's website, and have a really good looking package with a DRDT-2 upgrade right now. Just got done building the benches last night, and the work area is just about done. I'm ordering the tools to work on the practice kit (arrives this week) and the empennage will be on it's way in about a month for an RV9A. I'd like to order the tools all at once since I know I'm going to need them anyway and buying a package seems to be the most cost effective way to go about it. Thanks ahead of time...

I have ordered some things from Isham's and their service was as advertised. I reveived them in good time and was pleased with what I got.

Pulled the trigger on the deluxe RV kit over the weekend. Shipped today. I'll post what I think when everything arrives. Got a DRDT-2 with it also as part of the package. Nice people to talk to and work with so far.

No Complaints Here

I emailed them with some questions the morning of Nov 30. I received a phone call a few hours later. I told them what I was looking for and we hashed out the details via email over the next day (I needed the RV-10 upgrade, and made 8-10 mods to the kit). My order was finalized on Dec 1st, and the main kit arrived at my door yesterday (more on that in a second). The DRDT-2 is coming from a different location and will be here tomorrow. The order is accurate with only a rivet shop head guage being back ordered.

I haven't had a chance to test any of the air tools yet, but will post later if any issues.

The main reason I initially went with them was price. Most of the major items are significantly cheaper than others I've seen. I've only found a few of the smaller items to be slightly more expensive.

So far I've been impressed!

Now FedEx is a different story... I was a little surprised when I was tracking the package online to see a status of "Delivered" when the service listed was "signature required". Sure enough, my $2,000+ box of tools was sitting uncovered on my porch when I arrived home. The most interesting part is when you pull up the signature proof on FedEx's website, right below where its printed "Signed for by: [my name]", is a digital copy of a scribble left as a signature (by the driver I suppose). This may not matter to you, but makes me wonder how they would handle a package that did actually go missing.

Mark.

Got the tools and the DRDT-2 Saturday evening. Fedex attempted delivery on Friday, but we weren't home from work yet so they left a delivery slip with "signature required" checked. I have to say that I'm not unhappy with the tool set. Pretty decent deal for $1900 when you consider that you get a DRDT included. All the hand tools are decent quality and the dimpling and riveting dies and sets are top notch Snap On industrial. Klein snips work well also. The rivet gun and drill are imports, but they are decent imports and work well. There were a couple items on back order. A rivet gauge, and both the pop rivet dimplers. Those are supposed to ship the 15th and I'm not starting the empennage until January so no big deal. Only thing I could fault the kit on is that the drills that they include are at least 6" long. I would probably add some shorter number 30's and 40's as the 6" long drills flex a little too much when drilling the skins. No problem for pre-punched holes, but might be an issue when drilling a new hole. Also, figure on getting a set of vise grip dimplers for tight quarters. That's about all I figure I'll need for the empennage at least. So for a few more bucks I'm completely in business. VERY good customer service from Isham's and very nice to talk to on the phone. I'd recommend this place.

I went ahead and built the practice kit from Van's this weekend. I have to say that I LOVE that DRDT. What a neat tool. I knocked out both the top and bottom skins (after prepping everything) in about a minute each. Smooth, completely consistent and quiet. If you are just starting, I can highly recommend getting the practice kit which makes a section of aileron. It's a very inexpensive way to learn how to do this stuff at only $35. Make your mistakes on something cheap is my motto! I'm going to order their tool box kit for one more practice project before the end of the month. Then, on to the empennage! Oh, and even though I've read about how much fun flying these things is, I had no idea how much fun it is to build this stuff! I didn't even know time was passing I was that involved in building. I have definately found a new hobby!

I got my tool kit for them also. After I got it, i decided to upgrade the drill to a Sioux. I called them and they shipped the Sioux drill out immediately on good faith that I would return the one that came in the kit (which I did).
I had a problem with the pop riveter, and they replaced it with a quick phone call.
The 6 inch drill bits seem a bit odd, but work fine. BTW - the local Fastenal shop was able to get jobbers length #41 135 degree split point drill bits in less than 24 hours.

Back