What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

H.S. skin T.E.

I just notice I put my H.S. skin flush with spar flange and I see now it should haved overhang 1/4 inch.My question is Will this be a problem with flutter our just a poor gap seal effect.I dont want to assemle another H.S. if this is not a saftey of flight issue. I feel it would just be poor gap seal and induce minor drag,but is flutter induced from adverse airflow from poor gap seal? Your input would be helpful Thanks Jim

Can't speak to potential flutter issues but I've seen this a lot walking the lines at Oshgosh. Tom
RV3x2

Should not be a flutter problem.

I just notice I put my H.S. skin flush with spar flange and I see now it should have 1/4 inch overhang. My question is, Will this be a problem with flutter our just a poor gap seal effect.I don't want to assemble another H.S. if this is not a safety of flight issue. I feel it would just be poor gap seal and induce minor drag, but is flutter induced from adverse airflow from poor gap seal? Your input would be helpful Thanks Jim

This is only a cosmetic and drag issue. It should not cause a safety of flight issue. Flutter is caused by a combination of balance, sloppiness, and/or resonance of control surfaces.

Back