What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emag/Pmag first run today

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
We ran my ECI IO360 today for the first time today. The E/Pmag system performed flawlessly. The engine was extremely smooth. The set up was very easy. It actually took longer to lock them down that set the timing. First flight will be in a couple of weeks and I'll keep everyone posted.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Darwin,

Could you send me an email ([email protected]). I'm starting to work on my wiring and am curious how you wired in the Emag/Pmag's. I haven't ordered them yet but do plan on using them and would like to know what you had to wire, how you wired it, what fuse size, etc.

Thanks,
Bill

With two P-mags on order as well as my engine ordered, I guess I should jump in here as well and throw in a "Me too!" to see what others are doing for wiring up E/Pmags.

TIA

Emag/Pmag prep

I'll email you guys with a couple of pictures later today on my set up. In prep you need to order and wire in a 3 amp switched breaker (5 if you can't find a 3 amp switched) for the Pmag and a 5 amp for the Emag. From there it is standard wiring interfacing with your start switch.

Another point of note is to wire the Emag/Pmag ground wire to the engine block ground and not to your ground tree.

I'm not an electronics kind of guy and the wiring was very simple. The toughest part was making the plug wires, pushing 16 boots over the wires was not fun!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Maybe I already asked this, but how did you plumb the manifold pressure into E/P-mags? Do they take a threaded fitting or barb or what?

I'm ready to mount my engine, but have been waiting to get the P-mags. I'd like to get them put on before mounting the engine, as I think that will be a little easier.

?

Sorry guys but you lost me. I am not a mechanic and I don't know all the information or terms when it comes to the engine.Can you tell me what the difference is between a "P/Mag and an "E/Mag". Is this the same as electronic ignition. Thanks
Russel Koch

Both the Emag and Pmag are electronic ignitions, but the Emag has to be powered full time while the Pmag is self powered by it's own internal dynamo.

http://emagair.com/Intro.htm

Some people run one Emag on one side and a Pmag on the other side as a fail safe, but myself and some others install Pmags on both sides.

Emag/PMag picture posted

Here is the breaker install for my set up. For those who went with 2 Pmags you will have 2 switched breakers.

Regarding the manifold pressure set up, each mag has a nipple installed already. You run a line (provided) and T the two together. I used a stainless steel T from the aquarium section of Petsmart. The T is a buck 49. Really easy deal.

FYI, the bottom coping on the left side of the panel hasn't been trimmed yet!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back