What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Mag timing

tooltime

I'm New Here
I have one mag and an e-mag, the other day it wouldn't run on the E-mag during runup. I thought it was a fouled plug or two, but they were clean. I decided to reset the timing and that fixed the problem. Anybody had this happen, and why did it happen, it's run fine for a 100 hours

Tim

No mine have always run perfectly.

Can I ask though, have they been back for the SB?

I gather before one of the software changes, they were vulnerable to that, but if you have sent them back for the SB they will have had the software upgraded.

If your E-mag is a year old (maybe less) and hasn't been back to the factory, send it in! Your only cost is shipping and the peace of mind is worth it. I think mine has been in three times in the last three years. They believe all the bugs have been worked out now. Mine never jumped time, but a number did. Call the company if you are in doubt. They have very quick turn around so you won't be down long.

Welcome to the VAF forum!

Bob Kelly

Thanks for the welcome. Yes it has been back to the factory for an upgrade. I emailed Brad but he hasn't got back to me. I guess he's busy at Sun&Fun. We'll see.

Tim

Are you sure

You didn't loose power to the Emag?

Are you certain you have a good 12V supply and a good ground (plus P lead ground)

A lto of builders have had trouble wiring those connectors properly and if you have an intermittent connection that would do it.

Frank

Lots of reasons it might have lost its timing mark. I see you sent it back for the an upgrade, when did you do this and what version are you running. Also, did they do the latest magnet upgrade as well?

The next issue is your wiring, how did you wire it? Per E-MAG's suggestion I hope.

After that, I have to ask if the E-mag slipped? Did you mark it after installing it so see if it rotated, even a little?

The upgrade was for 1 or 2 set screws I think they said, I guess that could make it loose timing. The mag has not slipped and I wired it as per instructions
All the connections are good including the ground

P-Mag Problem

Hi Tim,

I had the same "dead P-Mag on runup" some time back. I shut down and later restarted and the P-Mag worked fine. Intermittent problems scare me so I called Brad at Emag. He knew immediately the problem: A voltage drop during starter engagement to a certain level would cause the E/P mag to fault and not operate. I sent it in and the firmware was updated with no further problems. Perhaps the retiming in this case was just coincidental to the actual problem.

Mitch Garner
RV-4 flying

I have the latest P-Mag update, and just sent an e-mail to Emagair yesterday about one of the PMags not being "on" after startup. It happened to me yesterday at run-up prior to flight. I was doing my mag check, and right when I killed the Right Mag, the engine started to die. I re-engaged the left mag to keep the engine running, then I removed power from the left Mag. The engine continued to run smoothly.

So, I shut down the engine and removed power. Then restarted using normal procedures. Both P-mags were operating normally this time. I have my P-mags wired the same as Bill Repucci, but with a switch instead of the stereo plug.

I haven't heard back from Emagair yet. Curious about this one. I will admit that my grounds are run to the ground buss, but I do not believe this is an intermittent ground problem.

Sonny,

That is a strange one. Please let us know what Brad and Tom have to say.

BTW, I have the main ground going to a case bolt close to the P-mag from which it originates.

The switch grounds go to my main ground buss.

I heard from Brad at Emagair today via e-mail...they're at Sun-N-Fun. He said the problem I'm experiencing is that of the older firmware and if I'd send them in he would be happy to take a look at them.

I just sent these in back in October! I asked him via another e-mail why the firmware wouldn't have been updated, but I have yet to hear back. Also, the sticker on both mags was returned to me with "V29" written on them. I believe I have the latest firmware (at least I hope!).

The same symptoms you describe happened to me as well - one p-mag not functioning after start up, but fixing itself after shutdown and restart. Brad seemed to think that this was due to voltage drop during startup and would only rarely occur, but it happened multiple times to me within several weeks and Brad graciously sent me a replacement pair at no charge to see if that made any difference. It did, and I then sent him back my originals, keeping the replacements. Im pretty sure this was after the most recent updates. Have not had a reoccurrence since. Would like to get a more complete explanation from Emag, but they seem reluctant to do these studies, as discussed in previous threads

erich

Last edited:
Back