What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Coast RV-3 get together

RV3 Pilot

Well Known Member
Anyone interested in a little gathering? Weathers getting doable. We can get an interest list going and then pick a spot midway.
Tom McIntyre
RV3 978TM
SF bay Area

How about Petaluma? Self serv fuel......... Lots of ramp space......... NO TOWER.......... food on field...........

I'm in....

...if you are letting 3 builders tag along. I would have to bring my 6 as the 3 is years away from completion.

Also, the NW RV fly-in at Scapoose is June 20th. I am on the parking crew and I am sure that I could arrange with Joe Blank (Air Boss) for special parking to group the 3's together.

RV-3 fly in

Tulare would be fine, or Harris Ranch if you don't mind the narrow run way. I'll get Mike Lauback to fly his RV-3, which is absolutely outstanding.

Tom Hunter

Tulare's fine

Tulare is fine, but also OK would be Bakersfield Muni, home to Tom Harmon's Rocket Shop Cafe, or Merced which has a newly remodelled restaurant. No tower at either.

Bill Newkirk

...the NW RV fly-in at Scapoose is June 20th. I am on the parking crew and I am sure that I could arrange with Joe Blank (Air Boss) for special parking to group the 3's together.
Hey, that could be a good idea! It's a longer flight for the California guys but the event is already planned complete with lunch and commemorative t-shirt. 100 or so other RVs will be there, usually some RV formation flying, and Van himself (as well as other Van's staffers) will be there. We could all park together and get our pics taken with Van, I'm sure he'd love to see all the planes too.
This is our 18th year, more info...
http://www.eaa105.org/Activities/activities.html#Flyin

Fuel at SPB is $3.25 and here's a bed 'n breakfast right on the field.

Anyone like this idea?

Lots of good locations mentiond so far, lets get a mini roll call of RV3s that are interested in a mid point meeting and where you are located.
Tom McIntyre
RV3 978TM
SF bay area

Man I woulda thought there would be more than 3 interested. Lets give this thread another week.
Tom
#978TM
SF bay area

only if I am welcome in my 6. The 3 is years away.
Jon, if this event happens I figured you and Benua might want to fly to it together with me. You two are actual builders, not wannabes. Doesn't sound like we're getting critical mass though. Personally, I thought the NW RV Fly-in idea but that might be too far to travel for some.

Randy
The NW Regional fly In is a great idea if you live in Oregon. Makes no sense to me to fly to Oregon to meet a couple of central California RV3 pilots. I know there are some 3s down here in central and southern California that you never see at Fly Inns or get togethers. If they won't come out for a local event they sure won't fly up to Oregon to shake Vans hand. I'm afraid I may have overestimated others interest. We'll see.
Tom

Randy
The NW Regional fly In is a great idea if you live in Oregon. Makes no sense to me to fly to Oregon to meet a couple of central California RV3 pilots. I know there are some 3s down here in central and southern California that you never see at Fly Inns or get togethers. If they won't come out for a local event they sure won't fly up to Oregon to shake Vans hand. I'm afraid I may have overestimated others interest. We'll see.
Tom
I hear ya. We both may have overstimated interest.

Coincidentally I'll be in Madera for a formation clinic the weekend of May 1-3. Won't really have time for too much -3 talk though, these clinics are FULL schedules.

Would love to meet you in person some day, we've missed each other a couple of times now.

Ditto for Central California

I have a -7, but love the -3. If there was a get together in central California (Paso Robles, Oceano, or the like), I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Paul

Madera

Randy;
My 3 is based in Madera. Hangar #86. I'm usually there on Saturdays.

Bill Newkirk

This idea has died a slow death. :mad: If anyone is ever in the Bay Area and wants to talk RV3s let me know.
Tom RV3 x2
carb
Cato two blade
EI/mag
aerodynamic speed mods

Back