What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS .........FRUSTRATION!

CNEJR

Well Known Member
It must just be me. I went down took the tech. lic. test last Saturday, passed no problem. Monday I ordered two 8000 FA APRS from Byonics with all the goodies. Got them Wednesday, followed the instructions, seemed to work okay, but went to configure, no serial port. Went to Radio Shack, bought a USB to Serial cable for $40.oo.

I can't get the darn thing (APRS) to be recognized by my computer, no matter what I try. Just says no Com port. I tried all the com's 1-4, no luck.

Now that computers don't come with serial ports anymore this is a problem.

One last question. Do you have to do anything with the signial terminal, I thought this was used only after you have config. loaded, but could be wrong. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I think APRS is too cool, but this is really geting me hot.

Com ports

Hi Chuck,

Try all the com ports in the pull down box and try to read the version on each one. One should work.

aprs.JPG

If all else fails - send me a PM and we'll talk on the phone.

Last edited:
Went to Radio Shack, bought a USB to Serial cable for $40.oo.

I can't get the darn thing (APRS) to be recognized by my computer, no matter what I try. Just says no Com port. I tried all the com's 1-4, no luck.

Check you settings in device manager on the USB to serial, it might be on com 5 or higher (mine defaults to com 5).

Not all devices like the usb to serial.

I had the same problem with the USB/serial cable I brought from internet. After I brought the USB/serial cable from Byonics the problem solved. I guess not all cables (drivers) are made the same.

If all the suggestions by others fail, order a cable from Byonics and it shall work.

Turn the power control trimmer all the way counter-clockwise. Apply power to the MT-8000 FA. ( A Nine volt battery can be used for testing ONLY when the RF power is all the way down. ) You must still use a gender/changer, Null modem adaptor or cable with your USB to serial adaptor. When you power up the 8000 FA, you will probably see lights flashing in your USB adaptor ( assuming it has visible LED's) This lets you know that your 8000 is sending a confirmation that it is alive. To confirm that the unit can receive serial data, plug your GPS into the serial port. ( don't use the null modem this time) A nine volt battery won't run a GPS very long.

Some USB adaptors just don't work well with the TTL level voltages of the TT chip. Some will shut off when they are exposed to high RF fields. So lets see if yours works. Go to: http://www.microridge.com/comtestserial.htm

Download the free ComTest serial program ( worth its weight in Gold, even though its free) In the lower right corner of the screen, you will find a button to set up your serial ports. Push it. Active serial ports will show up on the left side of the screen. Change the baud rate setting to 4800. Select the first comm port, and apply power to the Micro-Trak. If the Micro-Trak version number does not show up on the screen, choose the next com port in line. Many connections may be on a com port higher than 4, so try all active ones until you get a response from the MT (unpowering and repowering the MT with each com port change)

If still no good, go to Radio Shack and physically asault the salesman. Go buy a Belkin or name brand serial aaptor and try again. If you get stuck, you can send me your chips and I will program them for you.

Allen
VHS

Okay now.....got it configured......BUT

Actually got this little jewel to configure on my Mom's Computer. Read it back and it was what I put in. Set this thing up on my wifes car, turned it on for a little ride. Got back went to Google APRS and when I put in my call sign N349CE, it now appears that I have gone to Helsinki. Apparentlly no packets out in transmission. What now.? I used the same config that Sam used on his??? Help! Little green light is on, little red light blinks every once in awhile.

Actually got this little jewel to configure on my Mom's Computer. Read it back and it was what I put in. Set this thing up on my wifes car, turned it on for a little ride. Got back went to Google APRS and when I put in my call sign N349CE, it now appears that I have gone to Helsinki. Apparentlly no packets out in transmission. What now.? I used the same config that Sam used on his??? Help! Little green light is on, little red light blinks every once in awhile.

Chuck,

A couple of possibilities:

1) There is still something preventing the tracker from sending a valid GPS fix. The aprs.fi website is hosted in Helsinki so that is why it defaults there when no valid fix is received.

2) Our little trackers don't make very good terrestrial trackers unless you have a good antenna and/or are quite close to a digi or iGate. Many of the ground-based trackers you see are running 50+ watts through a mobile radio. 8-10 watts is pretty feeble when dealing with ground clutter if the antenna isn't good, terrain is unfavorable, or digi population is sparse.

Get the tracker into the air before you spend a whole lot of time troubleshooting unless you are positive the device isn't beaconing properly.

Did you by any chance forget to turn the RF power back up after the above programming procedure? How are you powering the device? Remember, a nine volt battery won't work-you should use an 8 pack of AA's at the minimum. For ground mobile use, your digipath should be wide1-2, wide2-1. The other path is just for airplanes.

Allen
VHS

Sam,

Right, my bad! This is the default programming for all Tiny Track powered devices.

Allen
VHS

Sam, I think you are probably right. I just have the little 19" flex antenna right now and it's probably just not enough to get out. Was it Pete that is selling the J-Poles. Just wanted to get a signal before I took off the wingtip to install. Thanks for all of your help, guys.

Back