What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon FlightDEK-D180

I didn't even know they were working on a combined unit. That'll be handy for those with tight panel space.

Thanks for the heads up Michael. I've been looking at EFIS and EMS systems, and I never saw the D120 or the D180 until now. I wonder if maybe they just added it in the last couple days.

I'm starting to think either a D100/D120 combo, or the D180 will be the way to go for my RV-8.

it's actually been on the dynon website for quite a while now, but they have never labelled it as a seperate unit called the D180. all they would say is that is will be released after the D100 was selling well. i've been watching the D100 series since OSH, and it looks to be a great unit. i try not to get too excited about any avionics that are coming out now since i'm a ways from the panel construction, but if i were ready today, the D180 is what i would use.

Heated Pitot??

Slightly off topic post, but am I the only one that is irked to no end that Dynon still hasn't released the heated pitot (yet they keep adding 1000s of flavors of their EFIS)? Seems they took my order about 2 years ago, but have been saying "pretty soon now" ever since then. No, I haven't been charged, but still...

Just a theory, but I suspect they weren't making any money on the "intro" price of $199 for the heated piot. They probably figure everyone who ordered at that price will cancel if they wait long enough to release it.

Maybe I'm alone in this...but every bone in my body is resisting paying $425 for a heated piece of metal.

Scott

Dynon heated pitot

tx_jayhawk said:
Slightly off topic post, but am I the only one that is irked to no end that Dynon still hasn't released the heated pitot (yet they keep adding 1000s of flavors of their EFIS)? Seems they took my order about 2 years ago, but have been saying "pretty soon now" ever since then. No, I haven't been charged, but still...

Just a theory, but I suspect they weren't making any money on the "intro" price of $199 for the heated piot. They probably figure everyone who ordered at that price will cancel if they wait long enough to release it.

Maybe I'm alone in this...but every bone in my body is resisting paying $425 for a heated piece of metal.

Scott

When I made my decision to purchase a D10A, a heated pitot/aoa was a key feature that eliminated the need for a seperate AOA instrument.

The lack of a heated pitot/aoa from Dynon is significant. If I were to make the decision again, I'd look at at GRT and and a seperate AOA. I don't want to pile on Dynon, but it's a major discrepency and should be rectified with due priority. Taking care of existing customers and fulfilling your promises is the hallmark of a good company.

Vern Little

I'm irked as well. I've had mine on order for at least a year. Every time I see them at a show, I ask about the heated pitot and they say they're still working on it. I think they were actually about to ship it at one point a year ago, but found some issues that caused them to redesign the whole thing. It sounds like they were trying for a similar thing to the new Gretz probe that monitors the pitot temp and adjusts the voltage as needed.

Hey $400 ain't bad. Heated pitots were going for over twice that much a short while ago.

I'm planning to buy a separate AOA anyway, as it sounds like it provides more functionality.

Dynon Heated pitot

Why not just wire it for the heated version and put a standard one in? The standard version is reasonably priced. Ask them if they will trade you out when the heated version is available. How many people have heated pitot tube now? Is it a want or a need?

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

RV7Guy said:
How many people have heated pitot tube now? Is it a want or a need?

I don't want to hear about how many VFR days you have down there in AZ. :) We've had fog up here (and near freezing temps) in Seattle for almost 2 weeks straight. It's so bad I'm actually looking forward to the rain predicted for this weekend.

That's a good idea on using a standard tube temporarily.

The weather sucks

Hi Dave,

First thanks for your site stuff!! Our weather sucked today, 75 and the visibility was down to about 30 miles with high clouds :cool: Tomorrow morning I'll get up and have my coffee with the hangar door open and read the paper(Airpark living is great) then do the last few things before the Friday first start of my ECI IO 360.

I was going to go with the heated version and waited as long as I could and just went with the standard version with AoA.

You're welcome anytime. I've got a guest bedroom, cold beer, hot coffee and a BBQ!!!! Nuttn better than sharing lies with a beer, lawn chair and open hangar in Nov/Dec. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :D

You're killin' me. My parents actually just started doing the snowbird thing down near Tucson. I'm hoping to fly down next year in the RV for some much needed mid-winter sunshine.

Back