What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim: Electric or Manual ????

txaviator

Well Known Member
I know there is another thread regarding the location of elevator trim controls, however, my question revolves around the entire debate over whether to go with electric trim or manual? :confused:

I am certain I read somehwere what Van himself preferred manual, but don't quote me on that one. I am just curious what you guys all think? Any pro's and con's that come to mind?

I am about to order the empennage, and need to make my decision before ordering. Any help, opinions, and suggestions are welcomed. :D

Thanks everyone,

Gary - I'm flyin a Beech 90 right now and it has both manual and electric trim. Here are a couple Pros and Cons I thought of from my experience.

Electric trim -- Allows you to stay heads up and clear for traffic. Also minimizes the chance for spatial disorientation if you're IMC (don't keep looking down to find the trim wheel.) However, it is something else to break and if you have a complete electric failure, it might make the rest of the flight/pattern/approach a little more fatiguing.

Manual trim -- Much quicker to adjust. I can move the huge trim wheel on the BE90 faster than the trim motor can. Less to break - self-explanatory. A little cheaper. You can more exactly trim off the pressures. The electric trim sometimes skips past the exact point where you need it.

I've read that the weights are pretty similiar. Either you have motors and servos or more cable. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Happy building.

Brian

Last edited:
I have flown two other RV's with eletric trim and I did not like them at all I installed manual in my RV -7 it neer an issue to look down it is easier to find then the switch on top of the stick since i hold the stick not the grip it is quicker to set and you can feel the trim

In the non rv's that i have flown all the one that had eletric trim they were a pain in the ***

RV-7 flying in maine

Thanks for the comments. After further research today (I know, I should be working....) I have almost made up my mind to go with the manual trim. At the same time, I'll save $240. :D

I know it is hard to compare, but the C-172's I am flying all have manual trim. It takes nothing to reach down and 'crank in a little trim, exactly the way I need it'.

Any further comments are surely appreciated, since nothing has been ordered yet :cool:

I am a still dreaming about my RV, but think I would rather go w/ the electric trim as my military experience leads me to believe that it would make formation flying much easier. I know formation will not be for everyone, but if you decide you want to give it a try, I think you're going to want to keep one hand on the stick and one one the throttle at all times. On the flip side though, I have never heard of manual trim "running away"

Brett (RV7 dreamer)

formation and elevator trim

Did you fly formation in the military? I had heard rumors that some intentional nose down trim was always in during formation. Or am I listening to some BS?

Yes - T-37's, T-38's, and C-5's (Air Refueling)

Trim setting is technique. I prefer neutral trim for fingertip and neutral or slightly nose down for air refueling (when you are actually under the other aircraft)

Manual Trim Controls

I have been unable to find a picture of the manual trim (elevator / aileron) controls.

Where are they located? What do they look like (wheels, levers, cranks)?

I'm planning on putting a center console into my RV-7A, to house the fuel selector and throttle quad. So, if the trim controls go between the seats, it may be a problem for me.

Anyone got any pictures?

Asking the Impossible

Thanks everyone, for all the pictures you sent of trim controls.

I had another question, is it possible -- like the Piper Cherokee -- to have BOTH electric trim and manual trim?

They both have their place.

The Piper Cherokee has a manual trim wheel - elevator - and an optional electric trim switch on the yoke. There is an electric trim cut-off switch, to be used in the case of a of run-away trim servo.

I'm intending to fit a centre console with quadrant - this kind of ruled out the manual trim for me, given the location of the aileron trim lever.

manual trim

i installed manual trim in my 7a. it is a simple installation. tiny movements give desired response. no problem reaching it even with shoulder harness. easy to trim and fly without looking into cockpit. my friend in the neighboring hangar has electric trim in his 6. his trim control is on the stick. he likes it. just do a good job installing either system and you'll be ok either way you go.

Back