What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Help needed

N375JS

Hi everyone, well I have jumped on the band wagon, I have my license and I have a 8000FA but I am having some difficulties configuring it, not with the software but I dont know if I have the COM port right, I hit the read configuration or read version and I get a error that says Tiny Trak 3 not found. I can hear the through my speakers the a pulse when I have the configuration cable(hand Made) connected to the 9 pin connector on the computer when the red led is flashing but I don't know if it is configuring. I am using the 1.2 SW for the 8000 but how do I know if it is communicating?

Any suggestions.

John

RE: APRS tracking help

I had the same problem, ie: the Vista laptop computer could not find the device. I had an older cable that worked with everything else I needed it for, updated Dynon without a hitch, but simply would not find that APRS unit. I bought another one with an imbedded circuit board thingy and darn thing worked perfectly. Dan.

MT-8000 FA configuring

John,

Make sure you have the configuration program for the 8000 FA, not the 8000, AIO, TT4, or TT3 version. Use a power supply that can supply at least two amps- a low current power supply will cause the unit to get confused when it transmits. A nine volt battery won't work. Go through the Com port options one-by-one, and push the "SEND TONE" button after trying a Com Port. One of them should cause the transmitter to transmit continuously, lighting the red LED ( Unpower the MT-8000 FA quickly to avoid burning out the transmitter, this will also reset the unit to normal operation.) Most likely, you are using a USB to serial converter(?) What is the "1.2" SW?

Allen
VHS

Allen

thank you I will try it tomarrow, I was using a 9 v batt. The sw is the 1.2v that is on the byonics web site. does it matter that I mad the null modem cable. seams pretty easy to make unless I am missing something.

John

Back