What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Walt Fritz Indiana RV3r RIP

jetdoc31

My grandfather passed away yesterday after being involved in an aircraft accident approx 2 weeks ago. He was known pretty well around the rv area here in indy. He built one of vans very first RV3 kits. He was a very smart guy that could talk about anything mechanical. I am really going to miss visiting the hangar and help him "buck" , "file" or "safety" something.

Sorry to hear!!!

I am sorry to hear of Waltz passing. You and your family will be in my prayers. I flew my RV back to Indy this summer and took this picture of him while there.

dscn4918.jpg

Our Prayers are with your Family

I received the word yesterday regarding your Grandfather. I knew Walt and flew with him several times. Please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. I know it is hard when a local aviation corner stone is gone. Somehow we think they are always going to be there. I was back in Indiana to bury Ernie Winters of Monrovia and it still bothers me. Take care and be strong for those that look up to you. Chuck

Many tears...

Dear Jetdoc31,
Sent you a PM. please review.
Nothing can express the sadness of the departure of a wonderful man. Please know that your family has been and will continue to be in our prayers. We always enjoyed Walt and his helping hands. He really enjoyed flying out to our farm and helping in the fields or just working around doing manual labor. It is amazing a fellow in his upper 70's could keep up and out-work us at times. We had a blast together, about two years ago he was helping with the harvest and forgot to close the door on the grain wagon...Walt drove to the field for another fill-up and had a big surprise when all the corn began to dump out the bottom side during the combine to wagon transfer. From then on during dinner at the farm, he received a big bowl of hot fresh corn and a big smile! :D
If anyone ever knew Walt, you would know the meaning "Never a problem, always a smile".
Uncle Walt has blessed so many lives. ...well done my friend, good bye.

Kel

My condolences

JetDoc:

I had the pleasure of meeting Walt the Saturday before his accident when the local EAA 67 and 1311 toured Tom Wood's hangar. My mentor for my Rv7A, David Sloan, introduced me and I spent a very enjoyable time listening about the trials, tribulations and enjoyment of building an RV. It was a pleasure to relive his experiences. All though I only knew him for a few minutes, the aviation community will sorely miss him.

Paul

Condolences

I also send my condolences, never met Walt, but his cousin in MO Wayne Fritz spoke, often & highly of Walt. He is deeply saddend as are we.

If I live to be anywhere close to Uncle Walt's age, I hope to be as happy and nonchalant as he was, and to physically get along with ease as he did. He neither seemed nor acted the age of 80...more accurately he seemed half that age. He enjoyed letting friends fly his pair of RV-3's, so he could see what you thought of it, of course because he knew what the answer was...and for him to see you enjoy it made him happy. Considering the difficulties he's had to endure in life spoke volumes about his character. So long Uncle Walt, we'll miss you a bunch.

My sympathies as well

I was out of town last week and was late getting the news about Walt. My sympathies to you and your family as well. I was a fellow HCAA member and am based at 2R2. I had gotten to know Walt- it ended up that he had worked at Allisons with both my grandfather and my grandfather's brother. He was a great guy- always had a smile on his face. It was just a few months ago that he had taken me back to his hanger to check out his recently completed RV more closely. He also talked fondly about a biplane restoration he was starting.

He will be missed tremendously by the 2R2 aviators.

Back