What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I apply "form a gasket" . . .?

NO!

There are numerous stories, possibly even on this forum, about engine stoppages due to form-a-gasket, RTV, etc. being sucked into the servo. If a bit of air leaks between the FAB and the servo it's not a big deal; you might loose .01% horsepower. If the gasket winds up in the servo, you'll loose 100% horsepower.

Edit: Here are some instances of this problem. More than one case on this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=19711&highlight=gasket+fab

Just one persons opinion, of course.

Guy

Last edited:
I thought Form a Gasket was Permatex. I'd use a paper gasket with a very thin - applied with a Paint Roller in order to reduce squeeze out and keep the coat thin - coat of Form a Gasket Permatex on the paper both sides if I were worried at all that the gasket might leak. Most problems with sealents occur when they're applied like tooth paste.

Last edited:
Just this past weekend, I had to remove my fuel controller and elbow from my engine because a part was originally installed upside down. Both gaskets were installed by the engine manufacturer dry, so that's how I installed then back on the engine.

Back