What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importing kits into Canada

Jello53

I'm New Here
I am currently planning a -7A or -9A build, and I'd like to know of anyone who has had experience importing vans' kits into Canada. Are taxes/duty fees to be expected?

Thanks.

Bonjour, Jean-Phillipe

You will have to pay GST and PST (or, I guess, QST in Quebec). There are no duties or extra charges. You may have to pay a brokerage fee if you have the trucking company clear your kit through customs, although you can do that yourself and save the fee. You just need to pre-arrange it.

I had my kit delivered to the trucking firm warehouse in Watertown, NY (about 1.5 hours south of Ottawa) and I just picked it up using my pickup truck and a trailer.

Hope this helps

As Mark said, you'll have to pay both taxes.

I ordered my tail kit last year and it was delivered using FedEX Internationnal Economy(The emp kit is small enough to get shipped using regular courrier). $10 brokerage fees + both taxes and I picked up at the Mirabel airport. Took 3 days!

I ordered my wing kit 2 weeks ago. I was quoted $489 US for shipping using ABF (trucking company) to the Montreal ABF warehouse.

To avoid paying brokerage fees, I'll just drive there, get the papers, go to the import office in Mtl, pay both taxes and get back to ABF. With the tax bill payed, they will give me access to my crates (2). I'll just load them up a in a rented pickup truck or my trailer... and drive home (15min, I'm 25km out of Mtl). I just hope they'll have a fork lift of 2-3 guys to help me out!

If you need any info, send me a MP, I'll give you my phone number! btw, my first language is French (probably your case too).

Back