What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rumors of our emergency........

petehowell

Well Known Member
......are greatly exaggerated.

As previously posted, Kate and I made the roundtrip to see Grandma in South Bend this weekend. It was fine trip, great weather, good company, and a chance to say hey to Mom.

As usual, I checked the track Saturday night when we got home. All looked good except:

Emerg_packet_1.jpg

Apparently the RV-9A hyper-jump flux capacitor was working just fine. Notice the speed you Rocket-drivers..... Clearly something was amiss here. I checked the hit out in Cali and saw the url that was posted. Someone was trying to get my attention - and they did.

Clicking on the URL I could see I had become "almost famous" in a not so good way. Here are some excerpts:

"Emergency beacon called wide 1-1 today and its a plane, or using the plane symbol, thought I would let some know here as not sure if this is real or not. they are using the call also of n789ph i think.

any and all means for a emergency. any ideas?"

"There's a call in the comment field periodically - KD0CVN. Same guy as
the aircraft registration. Anyone called him yet?"

"Did some googling around, plane and unit might belong to:

*KD0CVN*

Peter D Howell

That beacon was over a residential area - if he was in trouble and went
down, we'll know soon enough."

"Has anybody called his residence ?"

"Called the airport - no answer.
Called FSS - no flight plan."

"Actually spoke to some folks from CAP. Gave them what I believed was the tailnumber at the time (now confirmed) along with last known coordinates from the beacon.

Guy I spoke to is a ham and knew what APRS is - he sent it up the chain."

"Last position (about 30 min ago) shows the plane in front of the hangar at the Anoka County airport. Presumably he'll be home soon. Google says it's about a 20 minute commute."

From here, cooler heads prevailed as they realized that I had landed in Niles and had headed back to Minne with Mom's oatmeal raisin cookies in tow. The techies started digging in and realized that there was a misconfigured digi on the ground in Belvidere, IL that took one of my packets and several from another tracker and showed them as emergency packets. Bob B, the inventor of APRS himself, even weighed in with the final explanation.

They might have gone a bit overboard with the calls, and I'm sure glad they did not call the house and tell Andi that Kate and I had gone down....but it was very nice to know they were watching and were ready to step in to take action. I corresponded with several of the guys, including Bob B and everything is cool. They are going to contact the digi operator and get his radio configured properly.

I think this accidental example continues to show the value of APRS in our planes. So if you need an antenna.........just kidding ;)

P.S.
As for the no flight plan comment - I was in contact with ATC from 2 minutes after start up on the ground at Anoka, until South Bend Approach dropped me 3 miles from Niles. Same deal on the flight back - I even got Chicago approach to talk to me!

Last edited:
Where I can I ...

....get one of these "hyper-jump flux capacitor" thingeys?

Aircraft Spruce doesn't list them....:)

Gil - You gotta look @

Spacecraft Spruce. I think that is where Ironflight shops with our money.....:D

Last edited:
whoa...where would I get the antenna for the Sportsman I'm building next???LOL

Glad to hear you're OK Pete.

Emergency!

Pete,

...The Micro-Trak products are not rated for speeds in excess of Mach 3, so don't even think about calling it defective! Any better ideas yet of what happened?

It is kind of nice to know that sending that emergency beacon gets such sincere, if totally grabastic, responses!

Allen
VHS

Last edited by a moderator:
Emergency packets??

What is this emergency packets business? :confused: The APRS has some sort of emergency feature? Please 'splain.

I have the $105 Micro Trak that I have yet to install, or take the test, or even fly but I guess I didn't think that there was anything more to this than having your friends and family track you. So somebody is actually watching and looking for some sort of emergency signals? I had no idea that there would be a possibility that phone calls would be made by somebody I didn't know.

Last edited:
Emergency

The APRS network supports a MIC-E message that indicates you are declaring an emergency. The Micro-Trak products can have two selectable configurations ( the SW input switched to ground changes it to the secondary configuration ) If you use the a normal configuration on channel 1 ( typically Smart Beaconing for you guys) you can program the secondary channel to send the emergency message. Any time you send the emergency beacon, the APRS network displays your distress call to everyone in the free ( and not so free) world. There is no coordinated response system to this, like there is with ELT's and the AFRCC SARSAT system. I suggest that if you choose to use the emergency beacon as your secondary configuration, you also enter some kind of contact info in your "comment" field (FBO telco, spouse, mistress, life insurance agent, best friend,etc. E-mail or telcos are good) As you can see , the few pings that went out over the network attracted a lot of attention. I would think that if I was hanging by my seat belt upside down like a sloth in the trees, with fuel running down my neck, I would like to have something like the APRS netowork that shows my LKP archived on a map. This could be a great adjunct to the (frankly unproven in my opinion) new generation 406 ELT's.

Allen
VHS

Allen, are you suggesting...

The APRS network supports a MIC-E message that indicates you are declaring an emergency. The Micro-Trak products can have two selectable configurations ( the SW input switched to ground changes it to the secondary configuration ) If you use the a normal configuration on channel 1 ( typically Smart Beaconing for you guys) you can program the secondary channel to send the emergency message. Any time you send the emergency beacon, the APRS network displays your distress call to everyone in the free ( and not so free) world. There is no coordinated response system to this, like there is with ELT's and the AFRCC SARSAT system. I suggest that if you choose to use the emergency beacon as your secondary configuration, you also enter some kind of contact info in your "comment" field (FBO telco, spouse, mistress, life insurance agent, best friend,etc. E-mail or telcos are good) As you can see , the few pings that went out over the network attracted a lot of attention. I would think that if I was hanging by my seat belt upside down like a sloth in the trees, with fuel running down my neck, I would like to have something like the APRS netowork that shows my LKP archived on a map. This could be a great adjunct to the (frankly unproven in my opinion) new generation 406 ELT's.

Allen
VHS

...an extra button (toggle switch?) on our panels - perhaps next to our existing ELT annunciator panel - that would alert the APRS system if activated?

Does your micro-trak have a dedicated line that switches to this secondary channel, or is it a more complex wiring job?

Sounds like a good idea to me if you have a micro-trak installed....:)

Switch to Emergency

Gil,

The Micro-Trak 300, 8000, and 8000 FA all have a simple screw terminal block for +12, -12, and Configuration switch. Al you need to do to change to the alternative configuration is to switch the Config switch to ground. You will need to program the Micro-Trak for whatever you want in the second channel of course, but its as easy as programming the main configuration channel.

Allen
VHS

Thanks Allen,

Gil,

The Micro-Trak 300, 8000, and 8000 FA all have a simple screw terminal block for +12, -12, and Configuration switch. Al you need to do to change to the alternative configuration is to switch the Config switch to ground. You will need to program the Micro-Trak for whatever you want in the second channel of course, but its as easy as programming the main configuration channel.

Allen
VHS

Sounds like a new switch on the panel labelled "APRS Emergency Signal" next to the ELT annunciator....:)

Sounds like a new switch on the panel labelled "APRS Emergency Signal" next to the ELT annunciator....:)

Exactly!!! Make sure to put a switch cover over it so you don't accidentally have somebody making phone calls for no reason.

Back