What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

420W vs 430W

514S

Panel planning for IFR. I am not instrument rated but planning on using the RV9 for my IFR training. Question - Is the VOR required or can you get your IFR ticket with the 420W without the VOR in the 430W? The reason I ask is I closed out the vertical stabilizer not sure how to install the antenna short of removing the stabilizer tip. That got me to thinking is the VOR necessary for IFR if you have the 420W?

Panel planning for IFR. I am not instrument rated but planning on using the RV9 for my IFR training. Question - Is the VOR required or can you get your IFR ticket with the 420W without the VOR in the 430W? The reason I ask is I closed out the vertical stabilizer not sure how to install the antenna short of removing the stabilizer tip. That got me to thinking is the VOR necessary for IFR if you have the 420W?
If I were in your shoes, I'd just consult the Instrument Rating Practical Test Standards located at www.faa.gov and get the straight scoop. This is the link I came up with:

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-4D.pdf

The short answer is no

The long answer is.....a 420W stand alone won't allow you to do an ILS or VOR approach. If memory serves correctly, you must demonstrate 3 different types of approaches.

Also, for an approved IFR GPS, you must have an external CDI. Since you have to go to that expense, spend a bit more and get your Nav capability. Otherwise you won't be able fully train (or use) yours for IFR flight unless you have a seperate NAV/CDI (however you still have to have an external CDI on the GPS anyway to use it IFR).

There is a pretty fair GPS for IFR training video on the AOPA website that's worth a look at.

Last edited:
Back