What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gps reception underglareshield? hope this works

mark manda

Well Known Member
gpsmounted8kh.jpg

gpstopdeck7cu.jpg

gpsunderglass8zg.jpg

I forgot to punch a hole in the FW so this is what I'm hoping will work.

I'm betting it will not work to your satisfaction.
The aluminum skin will shield the antenna except for signals coming straight down and most satellites will not be straight above you. (You can mount it under fiberglass, however.
Picture a cone going out from the antenna through the hole you have made. That will be your reception area. Also, as your plane moves around on the longitudinal axis, you may lose signals from stations you have acquired.
I'm not a GPS expert, but I don't think that this installation will work well for you. Better to just put it up on the glareshield. My -6 had the antenna on the glareshield and it worked great.
My 2c worth.

try it

Roll it out of the garage (hanger, living room, etc.) and hook it to your GPS unit and give it a try before you rivet everything together. You should be able to get a fairly good idea of reception if the antennae has a clear view of the sky. If it doesn't do well it's easier to move it now than after you close everything up. Good luck. Jack

sonna a Bee-- I don't think I'm going to fit out my door! Oh man. it's always something. too tall, I'm gonna have to let air out of the tires.

thanks for replies.

edit-- more TW regret. :eek:

Last edited:
Back