What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hibbing - Thanks Frank!

petehowell

Well Known Member
Not much of a trip report - but a very nice trip! It is still cold up here in the Hinterlands, but not so cold you can't fly to meet new friends!

I had been emailing with Frank K up in Hibbing for a while, and we just never found the time to hook up, but today was free and we made a plan to meet for lunch up north. When I woke up it was -24F in Hibbing, but it was warming up rapidly, so off I went.

Since the flight up was over some desolate terrain, I picked up flight following on the ground at Anoka. Lots of cold and snow down there, but the cabin was toasty with the bright sunshine and heated seats.

Hibbing%20004.jpg

That's Lake Mille Lacs off in the distance....
Hibbing%20008.jpg

I listened to the Ipod and Minne Center on the way up. Not many people out flying today. Soon Lake Superior was off the right wing, confirming I was headed north.....
Hibbing%20013.jpg

Winds were gusting 22kts at KHIB, but only 30deg crosswind. The landing was a 6.5 and I walked away. Frank vectored me to his hanger and we tucked the siblings in together. The block and cyl heaters were plugged in.
Hibbing%20017.jpg

We had a great lunch at Zimmie's (named for Bob Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan - who is from Hibbing). We shared flying stories and talked about mods to our -9As. Frank has some great mods that are really well done.

Soon it was time to head home. Frank saw me off and we agreed he would come to the cities and I would buy lunch next time.

More snow and cold (and a nice tailwind) on the way home.
Hibbing%20019.jpg

Approach dropped me right into Anoka where I was greeted by the friendly voice of Dan in the tower. The landing was a 9.5 greaser and a great way to end the flying day!

Lots of new places and friends open up once the plane is done. Keep pounding!!

Last edited:
Boy, did you guys save me some work. You confirmed you can fit two RVs in a T-hangar! That'll come iin handly.

Frank came down to the Twin Cities (said he was making a trip Ax Man but I think he came down to help me), when I was ready to mate the mid fuselage and the tail. Left behind a bucking bar and some free drill bits.

I forgot to have him autograph the plane. Shoot.

Nope

Hi Bob,

We might have made it fit if we really tried, but since the hangar was not heated, we got the tail out of the wind and just plugged them in.

Nice pictures Pete - I can SEE the cold air in them!

I was sure glad there wasn't any wind when I was up last weekend - it almost made the single digits tolerable....

Paul

Your welcome Pete,
But I am the one that should be saying thank you. I don't see much RV action up here. Got to hold down the Northern sector, can't let them Cirrus's be taking over;)

Back