What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hyd to electric coversion?

Rotary10-RV

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
I wondered if anyone has ever made a kit to convert a standard hyd constant speed to eletric pitch change? For all of us who are running a Lyc without a Hyd crank or an alternate engine this could be very helpful. I thought it might be a good product for people that want to run a C/S but don't have the oil pressure drive needed to do it.
Rotary10-RV
Bill Jepson

Hyd prop change

Bill,
Hannes Trnka, here in Amarillo, had a super gearbox built by CAM in Canada that had it's own oil pump and hydraulic prop control unit. That way you can use high pressure lubricants like a gearbox should have. I believed it was rated at 600 HP.
Roger Robertson
N2800X

MT prop

Rotary10-RV said:
Hi Guys,
I wondered if anyone has ever made a kit to convert a standard hyd constant speed to eletric pitch change? For all of us who are running a Lyc without a Hyd crank or an alternate engine this could be very helpful. I thought it might be a good product for people that want to run a C/S but don't have the oil pressure drive needed to do it.
Rotary10-RV
Bill Jepson
Bill I guess you have or want to use a Rotary engine without a hollow crank and hyd prop gov. MT sells an electrical controlled C/S prop. It is expensive. Van sells them via an OEM deal. I would agree that Hyd is better for many reasons (maintenance and response). Other wise I know some people are making reductions/re-drive that has a hyd c/s prop capability. http://www.mistral-engines.com/

George

Last edited:
I don't know if you can make it work on a Rotary RV-10 but the AVIA V503AP two blade veriable pitch prop was great on my RV-6A solid crank Lycoming O-320. You can read more about it at:

http://www.aviapropeller.com/products.htm#j

Scroll down to the first box and on the bottom right hand side click on Technical Data.

If interested in seeing a picture e-mail me offline at dav1111 at cox.net.

Russ Daves
N710RV - RV-10 (fuselage on main gear)
N65RV - RV-6A Sold

The Marcotte redrives have hydraulic C/S prop capability using a P/S pump as the source if you are so inclined. Pressure fed lubication to redrives has created more problems than it has solved. The bath types used by Marcotte and billions of automotive gearboxes and diffs cannot be beaten for simplicity and reliability.

As far as the electric vs. hydraulic debate, several users of MT electrics have reported 1000s of hours with NO maintenance at all. One guy had 1400 hours on the same set of brushes. No seals seeping or leaking, no mechanical governer etc. MT seems to be making very good stuff now, just the price is the killer.

Back