What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 Weldment update

Roger Moore

Upon disasembly of my RV4 and inspection of my broken upper weldments it is apparent the failure was caused by faulty manufacture of the parts at Van's. Breakage appears to be caused by christilization of the welds. If you are flying a pre 1988 RV4 kit with these early weldments I recommend no aerobatics and immediate inspection. Van's has the pictures of the breakage and have told me they will provide them upon request. Again this is a potentially fatal flaw and not to be taken lightly. Roger Moore N67PM

weldements issue....

I am currently building a pre 1988 rv4...since I am still in the final fuselage stage what is the recommendation to repair or enhance these weldements before i go further....

Truss, Order new ones from Van's. They are inexpensive and considerably stronger. The ones you have are made of .050 steel and the new ones are .065, while that does not sound like much if you saw both at one time you would see they thought the originals were inadequate. Roger Moore N67PM

which welments are you referring to I have an RV-4 in the shop now and not sure what year the kit was made I'm replaceing the mount and firewall

Back