What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

North Central Floridian Seeking RV Knowledge

EchoCharlie1

As an aspiring RV flyer, I'm hesitant to make that final decision on the RV of choice, but am most certainly interested in a side-by-side version. My neighbor at Eagles Nest (FD44) has an RV-8 and I've ridden in the back seat, realizing that this is not where I want my girlfriend or future bride to be sitting.

I'd be willing to drive over to Spruce Creek, JAX area, or somewhere like that, to get a good briefing and personal tour of such aircraft, unless someone wishes to make a trip to a nice quiet grass strip for an afternoon.

Thanks to all that wish to assist.

Very respectfully,
Frank

Good morning Frank......

....should you also want to do aerobatics, then a -7. If not, then a -9. IFR or VFR? The -9 shines in that area although you can hand-fly the -7 in IFR if you're good at it.

FWIW, whenever Van's takes airplanes to a fly-in like Osh or Sun 'n Fun, there's a scramble to see who gets to take the -9. It's a stable airplane.

Regards,

Good morning Pierre

Thank you for the insight. My thoughts are to go with an IFR bird, light aerobatics for a little fun when not commuting, good performance, c/s prop, slider canopy...but the issue comes down to t/w vs. nosewheel and steam vs. glass, and the little nit-noid details.

I've not sat in a side-by-side RV and therefore, not familiar with the fit. I'm 5'11" and about 205#. Most folks with this ht and wt say the plane fits very well. What about those long trips...does it still fit well when flying for 3 hour legs when you want to shift around to get blood around the flat spots in the behind?

Thanks again...

I am SOOOO ready to have a plane again, the last 7 months have been torture without my own plane.

rv what?

gzero from Ormond Bch (KOMN).Sun and Fun is coming up this spring Vans had their 7 ,10 ,12 on display last year.From what I hear on the local radio (122.8) lots of RV traffic at Loves,Ocala,Eustis area.
I started a 8 tw ,but it's on hold (bailout???$$$) but have a Cessna 120 that I fly 2 or 3 times a week.I may get over to meet you and con Doug into a "Pep Ride". It will give me the firm feeling I need to order the wings.

Pep Rides

I've been up in Duggie's bird and with some great tunes and watching the sunset as we cruised back up from ORL one evening, it was a blast to look over his shoulder and see that we were puttering over the ground at around 160+ kts.

The problem I had with the -8 was trying to put the plane on in order to get airborne (rather than getting in). I am hoping to be able to enjoy a similar open feeling like that I had in the Cardinal RG, but with gobs of performance and no landing gear issues.

Sun 'n Fun is a lifetime away...not sure if I'll make it. I know there are some guys over at Spruce Creek with RVs...I may just pop in on the flight line and walk around, hoping to catch some folks for a little wrist-watch flying.

If you stop into Eagles Nest, have Doug bring you over...you taxi right by my house on the way to his.

Cheers,
Frank

Frank...

A little out of your way for sure, but will be glad to give you a hop in my 9A to help with your decision. If you get close to us for some reason, let me know. I am on the Cape Fear coast of NC. 60J Ocean Isle.

Regards,
Chris

Frank

I have my -9 based at KHEG in Jax. More than welcome to try and get together. Sorry I can not give you a ride yet as I do not have my hours flown off. Its a great plane if you do not want to do Acro.

Back