What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handy Tool for locating Holes on Ribs

JonJay

Well Known Member
Easy to make little tool allows you to quickly mark the skin to insure you are centered on the web. Obviously, only works on end ribs. [/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Made from .125, .032, with an .032 spacer.

A Newbie Thanks

Jonjay,

Thank you for taking the time to post this kind of information. It's very helpful to someone like me who hasn't built an airplane before.

Bob

Neat little tool.

Good solution to a specific task.

One other way, you can also just drill the ribs, keep the hole centered, and then transfer the hole to the skin with a strap duplicator.

More than one way to skin that cat!

Neat little tool.

Good solution to a specific task.

One other way, you can also just drill the ribs, keep the hole centered, and then transfer the hole to the skin with a strap duplicator.

Good suggestion Mike, but believe it or not, this little ten minute to fabricate tool was easier for this specific task than my strap dulicators. The skin is stretched pretty tight between the spars, which are drilled first and clecoed down. I wanted the best fit as possible and the thickness of the strap duplicaors has caused problems for me in the past. I am not a big fan although they do have their place.
I thought of drilling the ribs first and back drilling, which is very doable on the end ribs, but my Jig bracing was in the way. I chose this approach so I did not have to fight with my Jig, and it worked well.

Bob - you dont need a tool like this unless you are building a 3, 4, or very old 6. The new kits have taken away some of the creative thinking with those fancy new computer made prepunched and matched holed cleco and go models:D

Back