What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Tire Wear

wilddog

Well Known Member
Does the tire wear most on the inboard or outboard sides on a RV? I have a new to me RV-3 that has a lot of wear on the outboard sides and I don't know for sure if they had been reversed in the recient past or if I need to do it now.
Bill

Try putting

a stripe of rattle can paint on you tires.

Andrew
-4 started and sold
flying 11AC chief
dreaming again

Typically RV tires will wear on the inboard side first because as aircraft weight loads the gear, it tends to toe out slightly.
I usually rotate mine after just over 1/2 wear.

If you just got the -3 my advice is just replace the tires. Typically they are pretty old and it would be a good time to check the brakes, grease the bearings, and clean them up. If you have rims apart to rotate them just replace them, and keep the old ones as spares.

I get about 150 hours on the outside of a new pair of retreads on my -8, then another 100-125 on the other sides when I flip them. Louise's -6 tends to wear the tires more evenly. Ask us in a few years how the -3 does!

Paul

hmmm

If she is new to you... replace the tires... if you feel like doing a small science experiment here is what you do. Place a piece of wax paper on the hanger floor just in front of each wheel. Lift the tail to the level position and roll the aircraft over the paper, repeat with the tail on the ground. Make SURE you are on a very clean smooth surface when you do this... Then you will know exactly whats going on.
Best
Brian Wallis

Back