What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painter

raudy

Hello everyone,

I've been painting planes for many years now having got my start as a base painter for Piper Aircraft, and have a custom shop located in Lake City, Fl. I use the new Dupont Aviation finishes. I am certified in PPG, House of Kolor as well and also have paint jobs out there from over 8 years ago using Imron - and they still look as good as the day I painted them. If I can be of help to anyone, I'll be happy to offer what advice I can.

Jason Raudenbush
[email protected]
www.customshooters.com

Raudy, excellent paint jobs from what the photos show! Thanks for the offer of advice, if I were anywhere near you I would be dropping in for a chat.

A question for you if you don't mind, I'm ready for paint and I have a good friend (pro auto painter) that is going to help me. He is used to shooting Sikkens (Akzo Noble) and wants to use that product. Yes it's expensive but he feels comfortable with it and says it's bullet proof!. What's your view of using it for airplanes?

Thanks, Larry

Question for you

Hi Jason,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but what do think about some of these water based paint systems?

I used PPG base clear on my RV with good results.

Larry

Happy to answer questions

Sikkens I have never used it.

I did a little research it appears to be a urethane, I tried to find product data sheet but when I did it locked up my computer

Akzo Noble a U.K company also makes Dulux I remember shooting in early 90s on used car lot cars it was horrible but they also make Liquid Nail I like it.

I like to steer people to the best industrial- commercial type paints like used on semi-trucks or aircraft because lets face it how often is you're car going 200 mph

DuPont Aviation Finishes are Skydrol®-resistant

Let me give a brief statement on paint

I would like to start out with the types of paint singal stage or base coat clear coat

I will start out with singal stage there are polyurethanes,enamel urethanes,acrylic urethanes and probably worst kinds

As far as I am concerned polyurethanes (industrial- commercial) are the best.

Base coat clear coat
there two types the automotive type or the industrial- commercial type
the automotive the base coat has no hardner if you chip your clear coat there is no protection oil, thinner or mother nature can easily get in between surface and clear base coat can easily wipe off with mild thinner or detergent may be easiest to apply possibly harder to repair due to crinkling for novice cheaper singal stage paint can have same crinkling problems

If you suffer from this problem use faster thinner use light coats, heat surface

industrial base coat has hardner- best

clear coat for b/c -As far as I am concerned polyurethanes are the best

Dupont line ranking

nason- economy automotive
chromabase-top of the line automtive

imron 3.5-industrial high voc singal stage
imron 5.0-industrial low voc singal stage
imron 3000 or 5000-industrial singal stage never used
imron 6000-industrial b/c very nice

imron aviation finishes singal stage af3500 and af400 for riveted
imron aviation finishes b/c af700 base and af740 clear
top fill primers uro 1140s may be discontinued
af uro 135202

I prefer imron or imron aviation finishes it has done well for me
follow the instructions use accelerator where allowed if orange peel reduce more
Sand everywhere use a good preclean r&m 900? or klean strip

Make sure your air compressor can keep psi for length of time you will be spraying use a hvlp gun

Be leary of paint shops using generic hardners you cant tell for a few year

I really hope this helps. :)

Jason
www.customshooters.com

Last edited:
I live @ Cannon Creek and had a chance to visit Jason while he was working on the F1 Rocket -- a beautiful paint job -- workmanship was top notch.
Unfortunately the Rocket was destroyed in a off field landing (no fault of the paint job).

Hello everyone,

I've been painting planes for many years now having got my start as a base painter for Piper Aircraft, and have a custom shop located in Lake City, Fl. I use the new Dupont Aviation finishes. I am certified in PPG, House of Kolor as well and also have paint jobs out there from over 8 years ago using Imron - and they still look as good as the day I painted them. If I can be of help to anyone, I'll be happy to offer what advice I can.

Jason Raudenbush
[email protected]
www.customshooters.com

Hi Jason,
Can you give me some advise on wet sanding, buffing & polishing imron 5.0?

Also, when is the best time to do following painting? I've heard it's best to do in the first 24 hours.

TIA

Hi Dan,

I generally like to use 3m perfect it 3000 compound and swirl mark remover
with the 3m foam compound and swirl pads wet sanding with 1500 to 2000
and even higher grit.Buffing at a relatively low speed.
Here is a 3m video link http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Training-Resources/Videos/
click on paint finishing

What type of primer are you using are having orange peel, dirt,runs,with a little more info I might be able to better help you if this is not enough.

Jason
www.customshooters.com

Last edited:
Hi Don,

I generally like to use 3m perfect it 3000 compound and swirl mark remover
with the 3m foam compound and swirl pads wet sanding with 1500 to 2000
and even higher grit.Buffing at a relatively low speed.
Here is a 3m video link http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Training-Resources/Videos/
click on paint finishing

What type of primer are you using are having orange peel, dirt,runs,with a little more info I might be able to better help you if this is not enough.

Jason
www.customshooters.com

The primer I used was Randolph EP420.
I believe I shot it when it was too cold. The viscosity was ok but it produced lots of runs.
Regarding the imron; I had to shoot outside avoiding cool temps, wind and the airport managment. Plus I'm strictly an amateur.
I need to clean up runs, & orange peel.
I began to polish using Nuvite compound which is good for paint as well.
I'll take a look at the video.
Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe & I'll hook up with you at the Cannon Creek fly-in for an eval on how to fix.

Hi Dan,

I would like to officially welcome you to the midnight painters club.
You got to love airport management! That is why I moved to cannon creek.
I cant put into words how great the people are here. Would love to meet you
at the fly-in or any time.

Jason
www.customshooters.com

Omin or Deltron

Jason and the Group,

Any comments on the differences between PPG Omni and PPG Deltron. I called tech support at PPG and they were very little help in explaining the difference and totally unable to justify why Deltron is 3X the price of the Omni.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Dupont
nason- economy automotive
chromabase-top of the line automotive

PPG
omni- economy automotive
deltron-top of the line automotive

I am not a polymer scientist but I would guess it something to do with
the chemical compounds used that have to do with durability, uv protection,
gloss retention, fading, etc.

I always use the top of the line products on aircraft so I do not have long
term projects with economy products so I cant say if they hold up long term.

Maybe they are just jacking us I don't know.

I have only used economy products on cars and stuff track back the longest time 5 years but with no problems but was not on aircraft.

Have not used omni but nason, chromabase, deltron spray virtuously the same.

ppg deltron clear seemed to be a clearer clear then DuPonts clear.
Hope that makes sense.

Jason
www.customshooters.com

PPG Aerospace - DeSoto? Aerospace Coatings

Have either of you professional painters used PPG's aircraft paint, the DeSoto line? They had a booth at OSH last year but I've found they are terrible on product support and it is very expensive. I understood it to be superior for aircraft applications over automotive paints. :confused:

http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Aerospace/Coatings/

It 's a little more complex...

Akzo Noble a U.K company also makes Dulux I remember shooting in early 90s on used car lot cars it was horrible but they also make Liquid Nail I like it.
....www.customshooters.com

...than you stated...:)

Akzo Nobel is a Dutch company formed by many mergers and acquistions.

The English connection to Dulux is through a recent acquisition of ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) and it's long standing paint line - at least back to the 50's. Liquid Nails also came from the old ICI paints, but was (and still is) made in Ohio by a subsiduary.

The history is an interesting view into global commerce over the years -

http://www.akzonobel.com/news/history/

..the the "Nobel" bit being the same person who founded the Nobel prize, and invented dynamite.

Interestingly, both ICI and Akzo got their start with salt - guess who just visited the Salt Museum in Cheshire....:)

I have used it and in my opinion the 8800 series is one of the best.
Lear jet use's it on there new production aircraft as well as Beech Craft. Its user friendly and provides a very nice finish. product support is great with 5 different thinner's to accomidate temperature's and humidy.

Hi Jason,
I understand if you do not have the time to respond. I have been searching the internet for an answer to my question and cant seem to find one. I am a member at Vansairforce and came across your thread.
I have painted my plane last summer with Imron AF400. Pure white. It is not flying yet and before I put it together I would like to add some red and grey colors. Mostly stripes.

Can you tell me how aggressively I need to sand the white areas that I will be painting over with red and grey? Any tips to surface prep?

Thanks, and btw your paint jobs are amazing!!!

Regards
Cam

I just emailed you, but it was return to me, is the email correct on your thread.
Thanks

Hello everyone,

Jason Raudenbush
[email protected]
www.customshooters.com

Hmm, I don't think he will. This thread is 4 years old, Jason hasn't posted since and his website is gone. Good luck!

I just thought I would give it a shot. His email is no longer active. Perhaps others on here have been in the same situation with painting a second colour and have some tips?
Would hate to sand too much/too little and screw things up.

Cheers
cam

Back