What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brentz Tail Lynx, Reverse Mounting, WARNING

JonJay

Well Known Member
To avoid rudder interference with the spring, I reversed mine leaving the spring on the tailwheel horn, not the rudder horn. In speaking wtih Brent at our chapter bkfst yesterday, this is NOT recommended. There is a potential for the spring tong to be broken off due to the whipping action of the tailwheel spring, specifically in a rough landing or rough field.
Mounting them backwards voids the warranty also.

One instance of a broken tab due to this has been reported to Brent.

I will be reversing my springs back as recommended by Brent and using tape to protect the rudder bottom from the spring dragging on it.

I will search the threads and try to find anywhere that I mentioned doing this and attach a link to this warning.

Experimental avaition is great, and modifying or changing the application of products is common place. However, always consult the manufacturer as you may find, as I did, an unforseen potential problem.

That teflon flap rub tape that Van's sells (here) works pretty well to prevent the springs from scratching the paint.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

Back