What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage floor compartment(s)

ninerhawk

I'm looking for examples of how builders have hinged compartment covers into the baggage floor, used with Hartwell latch(s) for example. I'm thinking storage for a quart of oil, tools, etc. Any recommendations/concerns on size?

I'm aware of some using platenuts and covers for strobe, ELT, etc. Anybody have any URL's?

Howard Kaney
RV-9A
Wisconsin

Take a look at my Web site, under "Odds and Ends". I haven't installed the latch yet (haven't found a small enough Hartwell latch.)

Just some piano hinge and a big hole.

Here is my door. I want to use wing nuts that have folding wings on them for the screws, if I can find them. Otherwise they will use the standard 8-32 screws.

I'm thinking of mounting the power supply for the strobe on the left side but mount the unit to the door rather than the rib like I did with the ELT.

Just remember, you don't want things bouncing around on top of the skin.

A few issues back in the RVator some guy made a cool triangular "box" to put behind the seats for tool and oil storage. Also, I think Dan put a storage compartment under his floor.

Yup, Bill's is the one I'm modeling mine on. Let us know if you find some folding wing screws.

Floor Compartment

I chose to use all nutplates/screws for strength and rigidity. My ELT and my strobe power supply are mounted to the top; nothing on ribs or floor. A second compartment is not out of the question, for oil, etc.
IMG_2185.jpg

Not as slick as some, but it did what I wanted it to do and kept the strobe power pack away from the magnetometer which will be at F-707 location.

Back