What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MVP-50 with Lightspeed

Rick_A

Well Known Member
Is anyone using an MVP-50 with a Lightspeed ignition?

I'm using a Plasma II and have it wired per the instructions (pin 6 out on LSE to RPM input on MVP-50). On the first start I had the MVP-50 input mapping set to the default probe type. After talking to EI, I changed the probe type to "R-1-4H < 9K" but this did not help.

If you have a similar configuration, I'd like to know which probe type you selected on the MVP-50.

I know the ignition is working because I do get a good RPM reading on the Lightspeed LCD.

Last edited:
There is an unposted issue regarding SOME Lightspeed III units, where the output voltage for the RPM function is only 1/2 the value (5v?) that is specified in the manual.

You can return it to Klaus and he will modify it free of charge to the full 10v pulse. Or, you can get an independent RPM detector. Or, if you have one mag, just hook up your RPM indication from the p-lead for the mag and understand that you will also lose RPM indications if you lose the mag.

Not a Plasma III

I've got a Plasma II not a III, so that's not the problem.

The MVP-50 is showing the Left mag just fine but I have the message "R Mag Out" in the tach section of the display. When I turn the Left mag off, the MVP shows 0 RPM.

I have the optional LCD from Klaus which shows the Plasma II RPM, I just want it to show on the MVP-50 also. It's the only glitch (so far) that I have in my electrics/avionics.

It a lot easier to fix a software configuration error then it is to pull the d-sub off the lightspeed to check the tach out pin.

Back